Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking at joining the world of training with power... So I've been looking at Powertaps. Mainly the Elite+ and Pro+ options. I already have a Garmin Edge 705 so I'm all set there.

I'm wondering about the axle widths though. I saw somewhere that the Elite+ is 12mm and the Pro+ model is 15mm and aluminum compared to the steel in the Elite+

Will the 15mm axle fit a standard rear dropout? I thought dropouts on road bikes were all the same size but I wanted to check to make sure I don't buy a wheel I can't use.

· Registered
891 Posts
They are all 130mm wide for road bikes, unless you specifically get the wider MTB version. 12mm vs 15mm is the diameter of the axle and doesn't affect how it fits on the bike. Wider is supposed to be stiffer, but I'm not sure how noticable it is. Also, I think the wider axles use larger bearings which should theoretically last longer.

----------------------------------
http://www.valleycyclist.com

· Registered
1,668 Posts
ZoSoSwiM said:
I'm looking at joining the world of training with power... So I've been looking at Powertaps. Mainly the Elite+ and Pro+ options. I already have a Garmin Edge 705 so I'm all set there.

I'm wondering about the axle widths though. I saw somewhere that the Elite+ is 12mm and the Pro+ model is 15mm and aluminum compared to the steel in the Elite+

Will the 15mm axle fit a standard rear dropout? I thought dropouts on road bikes were all the same size but I wanted to check to make sure I don't buy a wheel I can't use.
Hubs with over-sized axles have reduced-diameter plugs which mate them to normal sized drop-outs and/or an end turned down to standard dimensions.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.