Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a new cranksets because my campy bb has annoyed me for too long. I'm trying to decide between the hollow forged Zayante or the solid forged Alba cranks from Praxis Works. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the Zayante, I doubt anyone has experience with the Alba, but welcome any comments about them. The difference is $45 and about 60 grams weight. Rings are the same forged levatime.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Which campy bb or is it a UT or PT crankset? If it's a traditional bb, you can probably get a Phil Wood version in stainless.

If you heart is set on an aftermarket crankset, it looks nice but a crankset won't make you faster, it's just a tool in the drivetrain.

·
Registered
21,639 Posts
I'm in the market for a new cranksets because my campy bb has annoyed me for too long. I'm trying to decide between the hollow forged Zayante or the solid forged Alba cranks from Praxis Works. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the Zayante, I doubt anyone has experience with the Alba, but welcome any comments about them. The difference is $45 and about 60 grams weight. Rings are the same forged levatime.
Not sure what is annoying you but I have nearly 20K miles on my current Campy Chorus BB with zero issues. My previous Chorus BB is still in service on my roller bike with well over 120K miles on it.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Not trying to be faster. I have the PT Athena cranksets and the bb is clunking and creaking. Checked the chainring bolts even had the crank in to the shop to check it over, pull it off and reinstall, with no change.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
There really isn't a bottom bracket on PT, it's bearings in cups and they're relatively cheap and easy to replace. The spindle is part of the drive side crankset. If it's creaking and clunking, you might have a frame issue and if so, a new crankset/bottom bracket won't solve that problem.

·
Registered
982 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There really isn't a bottom bracket on PT, it's bearings in cups and they're relatively cheap and easy to replace. The spindle is part of the drive side crankset. If it's creaking and clunking, you might have a frame issue and if so, a new crankset/bottom bracket won't solve that problem.
Yes, I had my bike mechanic look at it, pull it apart and check everything.

I'm looking for anyone who might have something to say about the Praxis cranks. Specifically the Alba as it seems to be too new for any reviews.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Yes, I had my bike mechanic look at it, pull it apart and check everything.

I'm looking for anyone who might have something to say about the Praxis cranks. Specifically the Alba as it seems to be too new for any reviews.

You should get the Praxis crankset, make sure the same bike mechanic that checked your PT setup installs them.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.