Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just curious what to do/not to do.

I have my second duathlon this coming Sunday morning. 5k/30k/5k of pain. My pre-race week plan is:
Sunday: Run 5 miles. Did it
Monday: took it easy. stretched. Did some work in the gym
Tuesday: This AM I did a hard 35 mile bike ride on aero bars
Wednesday: Planning a 5 mile run in the evening
Thursday: Either off or light 2 mile jog
Friday: If it's pretty, it's gonna be tough not to do an easy 30 mile ride at low speed
Saturday: nothing but eat lots of carbs and drink lots of fluids.
Sunday: Race then come home, sit in the hottub, then take a nap

Any suggestions? Input??

·
Registered
3,083 Posts
PaulCL said:
Just curious what to do/not to do.

I have my second duathlon this coming Sunday morning. 5k/30k/5k of pain. My pre-race week plan is:
Sunday: Run 5 miles. Did it
Monday: took it easy. stretched. Did some work in the gym
Tuesday: This AM I did a hard 35 mile bike ride on aero bars
Wednesday: Planning a 5 mile run in the evening
Thursday: Either off or light 2 mile jog
Friday: If it's pretty, it's gonna be tough not to do an easy 30 mile ride at low speed
Saturday: nothing but eat lots of carbs and drink lots of fluids.
Sunday: Race then come home, sit in the hottub, then take a nap

Any suggestions? Input??
I suck at and hate running, so no advice there.

On the bike, though, throw in a couple of 1-3 minute all out (or at least HARD) efforts to go along with the softpedaling. I'd also consider doing half an hour to 45:00 on the bike on Sat., even if it's just sitting on the trainer. Same protocol... mostly softpedaling with a few hard efforts. Nothing to make you tired, but enough to let you know that the engine still has some revs left.

·
$4000 bike - two bit legs
1,434 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Saturday

shawndoggy said:
I suck at and hate running, so no advice there.

On the bike, though, throw in a couple of 1-3 minute all out (or at least HARD) efforts to go along with the softpedaling. I'd also consider doing half an hour to 45:00 on the bike on Sat., even if it's just sitting on the trainer. Same protocol... mostly softpedaling with a few hard efforts. Nothing to make you tired, but enough to let you know that the engine still has some revs left.
I did an easy 15 mile ride the Saturday before my last race. I think it was a mistake. I think I could feel it the next day. I agree on Friday that I should do a couple of sprints. Since I'll be on my 'tri' bike (just my secondary road bike with aerobars), I'll get down in the drops and hammer for a mile here and there.

·
Apa kabar?
269 Posts
i think that i would do a spin in the evening on wednesday, or the morning if you have a chance. nothing too hard, maybe 15-20 miles. on thursday i would think about stacking it and doing a run/bike, just so the body feels the way it needs to fire. plus, i always think that it is good to keep the muscles guessing. i would include some fairly intense efforts, but nothing to totally deplete the system. friday and saturday i would take easy, especially since you felt it the last time you worked out before race day.
most of all, i would listen to the body the next few days. keep the motor revved up, but also keep it begging for more. better to have fresh legs than anything else i feel (probably different from person to person). best of luck to you.

·
Registered
61 Posts
recovery shouldn't be that long and slow

30 miles is a long distance for a recovery ride that close to a serious effort. Take off 5 or 8 miles, and throw in 3 or 4 harder efforts, like previously mentioned.

Going that long, that slow, will make your legs slow. Have them remember what the pace feels like; doing the openers (couple short hard efforts) actually opens the muscles a bit more, prompting a better recovery, and they'll be a little less shocked on race day.

After a season of trying different types of warmups before races, the races where I felt best in my legs were the ones were the two days before were really variable riding--mostly easy, but some good effort in there. Weekends when i went only slow before the weekend saw my legs stall out at LT and higher. needless to say, those were rough weekends.

sleep. A lot of it. more than you think you need, two nights before. The night before doesn't matter all that much, but make sure the 3rd and 2nd nights previous.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.