Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was wondering what people preferred for pre-crit nutrition is. I usually have a couple gu's and water before road racing, but have had trouble with pre-crit nutrition. Too much and I will cramp, nothing and I may get that empty feeling. Any recommendations?

· P=NP?
263 Posts
I like breakfast 2-3 hrs before start time. Usually a bowl of cereal or oatmeal (steel-cut is the tastiest), a piece of fruit, and a glass of oj. Then I have a gu about 15 min before the start, after my warm-up. Be sure to drink plenty of water from the time you wake up (I just always have a bottle with me the morning of).

· Registered
21,834 Posts
How about a Coke

will2007 said:
I was wondering what people preferred for pre-crit nutrition is. I usually have a couple gu's and water before road racing, but have had trouble with pre-crit nutrition. Too much and I will cramp, nothing and I may get that empty feeling. Any recommendations?
As the others have noted, your meal is 2+ hours before the event, and then you just want to keep the tank topped up. Something with sugar and caffeine just before the event works for lots of people. You can find expensive sports drinks with this combination, or you can just drink a can of Coke. That's my personal favorite.

· I ride in circles..
4,990 Posts
This past weekend I had a few fig bars.. a handful of dried cranberry bits... a bagle.. and coffee. Ate all that about 2 hours before start. 20 min before the race I had a Clif Shot.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.