Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
getting older
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Now that the sun rises well before 6am up here, it's nice to get a long ride in before heading to work.

I encountered a couple of 'friends' that were just waking up. The second one I almost stepped on when I stopped off the side of the road.

This is as close to gators as we get in upstate NY... I like it that way.

·
Low rep power
6,293 Posts
Very nice. That pond shot has me itching to ride there with a fly rod and some bass bugs.....

·
Registered
89 Posts
quattrotom said:
Now that the sun rises well before 6am up here, it's nice to get long ride in before heading to work.

I encountered a couple of 'friends' that were just waking up. The second one I almost stepped on when I stopped off the side of the road.

This is as close to gators as we get in upstate NY... I like it that way.
That is a snapping turtle,yes? Looks mean and massive.

·
getting older
290 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Both were extremely lethargic. Those pics are from a cell phone camera, so I had to get pretty close - it only moved slightly. I was tempted to move it across the street, but I like my fingers.

Pigtire said:
That is a snapping turtle,yes? Looks mean and massive.

·
Bacon!
9,193 Posts
I like the snapper pictures people have been posting. Nothing out here like that.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
That looks like its right down the road from my house (well, generally, and I suppose it could be, since I'm also from UNY)!

And I agree with Saf-T - I'd love to fish that pond, at about that time in the morning...

Great photos. Those snappers are everywhere from now until September.

As far as how to pick them up, grab the edge of the shell RIGHT behind the head (creep your hand along the center of the back of the shell) and right above the tail. Don't pick it up by the tail (can damage their spinal column). Me? I just shoe (pun intended) them across the road with a boot, or stick if I'm not wearing something thick and leather on my feet.

·
Registered
463 Posts
nate said:
I thought they had long enough necks to still get you in some cases even when you grab it by the edge of the shell.
They probably do. I've only done it once, and he was half underwater at the time and I just took a stupid chance and got lucky in the right spot.

I may be wrong, but I bet you can pick them up as well, with one hand behind neck on the shell and one hand above the tail, but still at the shell.

Now I have to go find more snapping turtles and practice picking them up.

What other sport out there makes this possible? Not baseball :)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.