Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I can really see people experimenting with a disc in the front (easy to change the fork to a disc fork) this season. People wouldn't have to invest in new frames (if running 2 bikes) and they can see what this new disc stuff is all about. Anyway, that's what I think we'll see this year.

With the obsession about bike weight, probably a lot of people trying out the various MTB aluminum and uber-light discs already available instead of the boat anchor stuff that comes OEM. Also, there's a thread on mtbr where this guy shaved his BB7 way down and removed something like 1/2 the original weight from stock, caliper only.

·
Do not touch the trim.
2,381 Posts
gticlay said:
I can really see people experimenting with a disc in the front (easy to change the fork to a disc fork) this season. People wouldn't have to invest in new frames (if running 2 bikes) and they can see what this new disc stuff is all about. Anyway, that's what I think we'll see this year.

With the obsession about bike weight, probably a lot of people trying out the various MTB aluminum and uber-light discs already available instead of the boat anchor stuff that comes OEM. Also, there's a thread on mtbr where this guy shaved his BB7 way down and removed something like 1/2 the original weight from stock, caliper only.
Why wouldn't they have done this before this year?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
OnTheRivet said:
Why wouldn't they have done this before this year?
This is the first year uci, the rules body for "serious" cross racing has allowed disc brakes. Personally I have mixed feelings about it but I don't want to be an annoying curmudgen. ;)

·
Not Banned
49,013 Posts
I predict you are wrong

this seasons new rides were already being built when the rule was changed. We might see some more next year, we might see some forks this year but I don't think it will be some massive shift. Second, the weight needs to come down, we'll see some lighter disc systems being experimented with this season or early next year

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
On the local level, nobody has cared about the disc brakes rule since I've been racing in this area. There have always been a few disc rigs, although I don't think I've seen any disc/canti mixed setups.

I predict this season is more of the same. If a few super-light disc brakes start to become commercially available, I could see it changing. And if the manufacturers decide to offer some "serious" 'cross bikes with them, I think it would change things. But nothing this Fall.

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
gticlay said:
This is the first year uci, the rules body for "serious" cross racing has allowed disc brakes. Personally I have mixed feelings about it but I don't want to be an annoying curmudgen. ;)
And that only impacts the elites. The rest of the fields have been free to go disk for years and you only see a handful. Maybe the rule change will put the option on the front of some people's minds, maybe it won't.

·
Iohannes fac totum
3,151 Posts
atpjunkie said:
this seasons new rides were already being built when the rule was changed. We might see some more next year, we might see some forks this year but I don't think it will be some massive shift. Second, the weight needs to come down, we'll see some lighter disc systems being experimented with this season or early next year

x2

.....and I run full disc. I'm excited to see what new stuff comes out in the next year or two.

·
Menace to Society
627 Posts
c-lo said:
while I have disc brakes on my full suspension and do see the value in them I've no desire to put them on my cross bike.

+1 :thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,348 Posts
I don't think we'll see a change.
#1. There aren't that many disk forks you'd want to run.
#2. Retro-fitting would be pricey. Fork + wheel + brake = $500 easy
#3. Most of us already have our race wheels
#4. Most of us like to swap wheels with our road bikes
#5. The weight penalty

I'm not even going to mention the fact there is no need for discs in cross since cantis modulate well, provide clearance, and, even though they aren't super powerful, have stopping force that exceeds the traction you get with 32mm tires......whoops.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
it's tempting to run a hydraulic front with the lever top mounted, but the thought of owning all those extra front wheels makes me woozy. Hydraulic braking with integrated wireless electric shifting would be perfect for cross and mtb, so would a lightweight internal hub for that matter.

If UCI made all bikes weigh 20 pounds for road and cross, there would be a lot of innovation in a hurry as the weight issue would be nullified.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
euro-trash said:
I don't think we'll see a change.
#1. There aren't that many disk forks you'd want to run.
#2. Retro-fitting would be pricey. Fork + wheel + brake = $500 easy
#3. Most of us already have our race wheels
#4. Most of us like to swap wheels with our road bikes
#5. The weight penalty

I'm not even going to mention the fact there is no need for discs in cross since cantis modulate well, provide clearance, and, even though they aren't super powerful, have stopping force that exceeds the traction you get with 32mm tires......whoops.
Maybe with the new more narrow tire rule, but I doubt it. That statement has a lot to do with rider weight, tire, type of surface, wet or dry, etc.

Anyway, I'm enjoying the discussion.

·
Iohannes fac totum
3,151 Posts
euro-trash said:

Run what you want but quit your ball babying and false claims. The rants are old and no one really cares that you don't like discs. No one is forcing you to run'em.

·
Lexicon Devil
961 Posts
I see a front-only disc being pretty unnecessary. In CX I tend to use my rear most of the time to scrub speed for the barriers or loosen the rear wheel up for a tight corner.

I'd actually be scared to have that much braking power available in CX.

·
Registered
5,234 Posts
Disc brakes aren't an all-or-nothing proposition, in general, although some people like to set them up that way. They tend to modulate quite well, and much more predictably than rim brakes in muddy conditions. I've had the experience of grabbing some brake and having nothing happen for a rotation while the pads cleaned the rim, or going down a short, steep hill squeezing my brakes and not being able to stop. Discs wouldn't help on a flat or a dry course, but I think that with a disc front end, on a muddy day I could do technical descents a lot faster.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
AndrwSwitch said:
Disc brakes aren't an all-or-nothing proposition, in general, although some people like to set them up that way. They tend to modulate quite well, and much more predictably than rim brakes in muddy conditions. I've had the experience of grabbing some brake and having nothing happen for a rotation while the pads cleaned the rim, or going down a short, steep hill squeezing my brakes and not being able to stop. Discs wouldn't help on a flat or a dry course, but I think that with a disc front end, on a muddy day I could do technical descents a lot faster.
That is my experience as well. I'm a clyde now but have placed pretty high at nationals a long time ago.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.