Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, she's built up into a functioning bike, but there's fine tuning to be had. Took it out for a short spin last night, and I'm very impressed with the fit and feel. I think the stem needs to come down a bit, but otherwise, reach is fine. Once it's fine-tuned, the steerer will be cut.

I think the thing that makes me happiest is how much the whole thing cost me. Frame included, right around 600 bones. I had a few things on hand to assist the build, but mostly it was from patient sniping on Ebay.

Here's the parts list:

VanDessel Project WR frame/fork/headset/seatpost
DA bar ends
Profile T2 base and clip ons
Ritchey Pro stem
105 RD/RD/rear brake
DA single pivot front brake (the 105 dual pivot interfered with the wedge-shaped faring)
Ultegra crankset
Arione Tri saddle
Wheels will be shared with the road bike for now (Powertap Rear/WI front, CX rays, Niobium 30s)

Sorry for the pic with a busy background.

· Registered
120 Posts
Dude, I love it. I just won one of those frames on Ebay today. Most likely from the same seller that you got yours. Some seller out of N.J. that's been putting a lot of Van Dessel frames on Ebay. Hopefully it arrives in good shape and in a normal amount of time.

I'll be doing a similar build as yours. Just watching for good deals. I'm getting tired of ghetto rigging my road bike for TT's and wanted something cheap.

Please post another ride report once you get in some more rides.

· Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
shayne said:
Dude, I love it. I just won one of those frames on Ebay today. Most likely from the same seller that you got yours. Some seller out of N.J. that's been putting a lot of Van Dessel frames on Ebay. Hopefully it arrives in good shape and in a normal amount of time.

I'll be doing a similar build as yours. Just watching for good deals. I'm getting tired of ghetto rigging my road bike for TT's and wanted something cheap.

Please post another ride report once you get in some more rides.
Yup, that's where I got mine from. It's less than an hour from the house, so I saved myself the shipping, too. They were great to deal with. It's actually Van Dessel's headquaters.

· Registered
599 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Word of advice...a dual-pivot front brake may not work. I ended up putting a single-pivot DA caliper up front. The dual-pivot caliper would strike the wedge on the head tube after turning about 2 degrees to the left.

I originally had a 105 caliper (5500 series) on it and it didn't work.

· Registered
74 Posts
When I built up my Project WR earlier this year, I used some new 105 brakes. I had to put a couple washers on the bolt to keep things working smoothly. Here's my scattering of parts.

Frame: Van Dessel Project WR
Seatpost: Van Dessel Project WR
Fork: Van Dessel Project WR
Headset: Van Dessel
Stem: Bontrager Race 105 mm
Bars: Profile base and aerobars
Seat: Selle Italia Flite Ti
Shifters: Shimano 8 speed, set on friction
Brakes: Shimano 105
Brake levers: Tektro (forget the model)
Cranks: Shimano 9 speed DA, 55X42 rings
Front Derailleur: Campag Veloce
Rear Derailleur: Campag Veloce
Front Wheel: Open Pro on Record hub (Training) or Specialized tri spoke (racing)
Rear Wheel: Open Pro on Record hub (training), Specialized 8 speed tri spoke (windy racing), HED 8 speed disk (calm racing)
Cables and Housing: Shimano

I wanted to go all Campag, but their shifters are $$$, and since I'm switching between 10 speed for training and 8 speed for racing, I just went with what I already had.

I love my bike. It's a great entry level TT bike. I got mine for the same deal as you guys, and the only new parts I bought were derailleurs and brakes. With race wheels on it, I think I have <$1000 in mine.

TB

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.