Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I have contemplated selling my bike and had preownedbikes.com send me the trade-in value. Does anybody have an idea of what the street-value that may correspond to?

My guess is that they must have some idea of the street-value of the bike in order to make an offer.

·
eminence grease
18,538 Posts

·
Registered
591 Posts
Resale

ronniedee said:
I have contemplated selling my bike and had preownedbikes.com send me the trade-in value. Does anybody have an idea of what the street-value that may correspond to?

My guess is that they must have some idea of the street-value of the bike in order to make an offer.
You will likely do beter selling it yourself. Resellers don't give anywhere near what something may be worth.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I would expect more than it is worth?

This a trade in program. Just like when someone purchases a new car the dealer pretends to give more for my car and the purchaser pretend paying full price is a good deal.

Look at the prices at Preowned, the bikes are priced very high for used bikes.

If I were dealing with American Bicycle Company I would only think about their Merlin line.

In keeping fo my chosen name, I have never traded a bike to Amercian Bicycle and do not know your bike or their offer. Maybe naming the bike and components, and the offer, would help.

·
Registered
3,779 Posts
Try it

I work at an ABG dealer and we have done two. The offers both were quite a bit higher than I expected--maybe this is the reason the sell them for more as I think their resale prices are too high. When I recently sold my Look 381 they offered me 100 more than it was listed for--then again I sell stuff cheap to turn it fast. I've also noticed they offer more for abg bikes. One other trick is that if you have a good LBS they can call the rep and he'll vouch for condition of the bike. In one case the bike we had was better than "very good". It was showroom so they gave us a few hundred more....

·
Registered
397 Posts
ronniedee said:

I recently did a trade-in through ABG's program, and was extremely satisfied. I worked mine through River City Bicycles, and had a great experience. Maybe you should focus on the net difference it will cost you to get the new bike that you want to see if it's worth it.

In my case, I came out of pocket about $1K for my new, perfectly fit titanium bike with '04 Campy Chorus Carbon gruppo in exchange for my three year old ride. With today's Campy prices and the soft (read:headache) re-sale market, I'm happy with my deal.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts