Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
So this year my 11 year old nephew will be going on the C&O trip with my Dad and myself. Looking over the packing list and gear from last summer I have decided that the BOB and 3 rack bags may not cut it. We are going to need a set of panniers too. My nephew will be riding my MTB with road slicks on it so the rack is no problem. My questions to my fellow RBRers are as follows.

1.Does anyone know of a really informative guide or history of the C&O that can be my summer reading prior to the trip?

2. Does anyone know of a really inexpensive brand of panniers that I can pickup for this trip? I really don't want to invest too much because I like the BOB and don't plan to use the panniers except on this trip.

P.S. I should say we took 6 days last year and have decided to take 6-7 days this year. We will stop and camp in mid to late afternoon and explore. I found some swimming holes along the way too. In addition we might throw a fishing rod on the BOB and see if we can't have fresh seafood for dinner.

·
Premium Member
21,853 Posts
Cheap=Walmart or Sports Authority.

OTOH you could PM me and I will see what I can hook you up with out of our vast supply of stuff we will never use again.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
KenB said:
If you haven't already been there, try: http://www.candocanal.org/index.html

There are some books listed on their store site and there's contact info... I'm sure they can give some solid recommends.
Thanks, I looked at all the websites I could find before last year's trip. I remember someone here recommending a book but I cannot find the post.
This year I used this cool swimming-hole website to find some fun places to swim. Not that there aren't plenty along the river but these look like fun.

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MB1 said:
OTOH you could PM me and I will see what I can hook you up with out of our vast supply of stuff we will never use again.
It's zinging across the wires as we speak.

·
Non non normal
10,183 Posts
zeytin said:
It's zinging across the wires as we speak.

If MB1 doesn't have anything feel free to PM me. You can borrow mine for the trip.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts

·
remodeling...me
4,177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Awesome thanks everyone. I have a B&N gift cert from graduation I'll head over there this week and pick up the book. Going to the beach next week that'll be my reading when I'm not riding.
Cheers,
S

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.