Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,
I've bought a new frame for a fixie project and I need advice about frame preparation. The frame is brand new and I know for sure that I'll need to chase the BB shell threads, because a bit of paint has got in there.

I was wondering though, do I really need to face the headtube and BB shell? I'm going to use a conventionnal headset and a square taper BB. I guess I shouldn't take any chances with the headtube, but since the BB is an internal one, is facing the BB shell that important?

Anyway, if you have some experience in the matter, what would you recommend me to do?

·
Registered
3,094 Posts
If you're using a sealed bearing, "cartridge" type bottom bracket, facing the bb shell isn't that critical. The spindle is aligned with the bearings as a unit. Good idea to chase it though.

As to the headtube, facing is a good idea. The bearings are aligned to the steer tube by the frame itself.

·
Anything on 2 wheels
333 Posts
You rarely have to chase the thread but if there's paint it's a good idea. Facing is much more important and common on external BB but can be omitted most of the time. In the case of internal, don't bother.

For the headtube it depends what type of headset you'll be using. Standard threadless can often be used without, integrated are never faced AFAIK, internal you better do it.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
PissedOffCil said:
You rarely have to chase the thread but if there's paint it's a good idea. Facing is much more important and common on external BB but can be omitted most of the time. In the case of internal, don't bother.

For the headtube it depends what type of headset you'll be using. Standard threadless can often be used without, integrated are never faced AFAIK, internal you better do it.
Thanks to both of you for the info!

As I said, I'll be using a conventionnal (i.e. standard) threadless headset.
PO'edCil, you say this type of headset "can" be used without facing the headtube, but then are the bearings more likely to develop premature wear? I wouldn't want that to happen...

·
Militant commuter
881 Posts
It's worth facing both BB shell and head tube -- one less thing to go wrong, and you'll never have to do it to that frame again. It's only a few bucks. Is it needed? Maybe not...but I'd do it anyway.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
face headtube and bb shell

it is an easy and quick job but make sure you take it to a good shop

·
Anything on 2 wheels
333 Posts
Svooterz said:
Thanks to both of you for the info!

As I said, I'll be using a conventionnal (i.e. standard) threadless headset.
PO'edCil, you say this type of headset "can" be used without facing the headtube, but then are the bearings more likely to develop premature wear? I wouldn't want that to happen...
Yes, just like external BBs, threadless headset cups that don't sit flush on the frame can deform and then your bearings won't be perfectly aligned, causing premature wear.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts