Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If you are bored, go to weather.com and put zip code 96706. We are talking potential flooding of "fish hitting" proportion. I have the camera with me and will leave work in about an hour. Bike wasn't clean anyway.

·
No Crybabies
11,684 Posts
no sympathy

bigbill said:
If you are bored, go to weather.com and put zip code 96706. We are talking potential flooding of "fish hitting" proportion. I have the camera with me and will leave work in about an hour. Bike wasn't clean anyway.
Geez, you're living in Hawaii -- you get no sympathy! ;-)

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,668 Posts
I blame El Nino...

·
Downhill Juggernaut
1,668 Posts
Oh, don't forget to take pictures. This screams out for a ride report!

·
Registered
121 Posts
I was going to try to one up you, but were not getting much rain, only 1 cm. We are however forecast to get 80 KM/h winds and no riding with sandals here.

Have fun. I always find the extreme weather commutes the most satisfying.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not extreme, just wet.

Here are some shots. The bridge shots are near Pearl City just west of Lehua. The rain was steady and the streams were swollen, but not flooded yet. The big rain is supposed to be tonight, so tomorrow morning should be interesting. The bad part is there is no way to get around the flooding without backtracking for several miles. I will carry the bike through flooded areas but not through flowing water. The SPD sandals help.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Dirty bike.

The Gunnar is really dirty but no point in cleaning it, tomorrow will be worse. My shimagnolo drivetrain continues to perform well and the Avid brakes are currently squeal-free. The fenders will be clean by the time I reach Waipahu in the morning. A few puddles will flush them out. So far I am very happy with the Crosshairs.

·
Big is relative
11,887 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MB1 said:
Got any snow?

Someone somewhere (likely in Colorado) has ours.

Damn you global warming!!!!!!!

This time next year the commute will be in the Bremerton, Washington area. Still wet but about forty degrees cooler.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Yup it's here.

MB1 said:
Got any snow?

It's getting a little silly here. Three weeks in a row with snow storms and only the lucky people who live and work in Boulder have most of the bike lanes and/or paths cleared. I've seen a couple of people riding near where I work in Lakewood but it looks almost suicidal. Round four is forecasted for this Thursday/Friday. Only the most hardcore of hardcore bike commuters have been out there the last couple of weeks.

·
Bacon!
9,190 Posts
Thank god for fenders, eh? I've only had to commute once through very deep, very cold water. My dumb bike path went along a river that had overflowed (clear mountain water of all things) due to water being flushed from a reservoir. I ended up walking large sections as my front tire felt like it was going to rise up. Had to repack and regrease everything. Ugh.

·
It's not TOO Cold!
2,498 Posts
gonsa said:
It's getting a little silly here. Three weeks in a row with snow storms and only the lucky people who live and work in Boulder have most of the bike lanes and/or paths cleared. I've seen a couple of people riding near where I work in Lakewood but it looks almost suicidal. Round four is forecasted for this Thursday/Friday. Only the most hardcore of hardcore bike commuters have been out there the last couple of weeks.
And those Hardcore Commuters do not include me. I love all the snow, but it could bring my consecutive months with at least 1 ride to a close, at 10. The great thing about streaks, is once they are broken, it is a great challange to better it. Most of the MUT's have been plowed, unlike the city streets, but the freeze thaw cycle makes then best travelled by hockey skate these days (nights).

Sledge

·
Seat's not level
19,375 Posts
bigbill said:
A Hawaii ride report turns into a snowfall thread. Cats sleeping with dogs.
yea, but your snowman avatar got everyone thinking in that direction

Anybody that wants snow can come out to Denver and take all they can carry. Forecast for round 4 has been downgraded to just a few inches, but the temp is supposed to go down to the single digits over the weekend.

·
Registered
121 Posts
MB1 said:
Got any snow?

I think the Pacific Northwest keeps getting your snow. We just had our 4th snowfall of the season. Feels kind of odd considering how little snow we have had in the past few years.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Geez, I wish the weather here was that "bad". Today in Alberta we're experiencing -30C windchills with almost zero visibility from the blizzard. Yeah, I still biked to work. Yeah, I'm nuts!

Chris

·
Unstable
195 Posts
Geet said:
I think the Pacific Northwest keeps getting your snow. We just had our 4th snowfall of the season. Feels kind of odd considering how little snow we have had in the past few years.
Flurries in the burbs of Portland, OR this AM. I was on the bus this AM and the lady in front of me was saying "Mike, it's going to snow 1-2 FEET in the valley today!" I was like, umm, ok bring it on (as I was :lol: on the inside). To her credit it is cold enough to snow outside right now, but there is zero on the ground. It's up in the hills.

Cheers all!

·
Have a nice day
5,893 Posts
A friend in HI emailed me this this morning:

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HONOLULU HI
344 AM HST WED JAN 10 2007

ICY ROADWAYS AND LIGHT SNOW ON THE BIG ISLAND SUMMITS...

A KONA LOW WEST OF THE ISLANDS HAS BROUGHT LIGHT SNOW TO THE SUMMITS
OF MAUNA KEA AND MAUNA LOA. THE ROAD TO THE SUMMIT REMAINS CLOSED
TO THE PUBLIC.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.