Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
TRB
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok so I have recently had to stop riding everyday due to other responsibilities in life, kitchen remodel, kids starting school and working mad overtime. Getting darker sooner so I've had limited time.

I haven't ridden in about 3 weeks now...I have a 50 mile charity ride this Sunday, I am planning on prepping for it. This is what I was thinking to get my legs back just a bit.

Tomorrow - 15-16 miles during lunch. 10-20 miles after work.
Wed - 15-16 miles during lunch. 10-15 miles after work.
Thursday - 15-25 miles after work.
Friday - Short ride maybe just for a quick spin.
Sat - Off.
Sun - Ride.

Any other suggestions? Diet wise? Eating day of? Thanks, I'm kinda lost as to get my legs and rear end back in riding mode.

Thanks,
Tim

·
Registered
320 Posts
Seriously, unless you are trying to lay down some killer time 50 miles is not very far. Just do a few rides to get back on the bike and then just go do it.

·
Pack Fodder.
1,871 Posts
Ride a few rides, increasing distance as much as your schedule/energy will allow. Take a day off or ride really easy the day before. Eat a well-balanced diet. Get a good night's sleep.

There you go. Race pace or charity ride, my advice would be the same given your short timeline.

·
Registered
2,359 Posts
I think you should ride less. You can't build fitness in 1 week so you are more likely to make yourself tired before the ride. Ride Monday through Thursday if you feel good but if you feel tired by Thursday then don't ride any more. Rest up for your ride Sunday, maybe do an easy spin on Saturday.

If you were riding consistently before the layoff you'll be surprised at how well you do. The best thing is to not go out too hard at the start and settle into it more slowly. You'll be fine.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts