Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Getting ready to ride in my first organized ride this weekend. And of course...it's supposed to rain! I have a rain shell I plan to take in my back pocket to put on if needed. What else? Suggestions on other preparations I should make? Not too excited about this :( I'm only riding 28 miles, but that's an accomplishment for me!

·
Registered
641 Posts
Rain rides can be a lot of fun. Less so if it is pouring the whole time but it can be a lot of fun. Why type of tires are you running? What are the roads like. Just be careful once the roads get wet it can be slippery.

·
Registered
21,726 Posts
Getting ready to ride in my first organized ride this weekend. And of course...it's supposed to rain! I have a rain shell I plan to take in my back pocket to put on if needed. What else? Suggestions on other preparations I should make? Not too excited about this :( I'm only riding 28 miles, but that's an accomplishment for me!
This time of year, depending on your latitude, rain rides can be about staying warm rather than staying dry (in reality they are never about staying dry). So you want to look at temperature to make sure that you have stuff that will keep you warm.

As others have noted the roads can be slippery so be more careful in corners and watch for things like paint and any kind of metal (manhole covers, grates, bridge decks, expansion joints). You also want to put things in plastic bags in your jersey pockets (wallet, money, phone, food) so that it doesn't become water sogged. This is where you can put a bandana for wiping your glasses on occasion. And speaking of glasss, wear your helmet so it is just above your glasses. In most cases that will leave a clear spot on your glasses along the top of the lenses.

·
Registered
335 Posts
In the rain I like to reduce air pressure in the tires a bit (5-10 psi) to give a bit more traction, avoid making turning/breaking maneuvers on road paint, wear a cycling cap under bike helmet to keep water from glassess/eyes, assess braking conditions early in the ride as it will take longer to stop with wet brakes, do not follow too closely to people in front as tire spray is annoying, anticipate when you need to brake and lightly apply pressure to brake levers to squeegee brake tracks.

I like to think of winter driving when riding in the rain.

Forget staying completely dry as if you get so waterproofed when you start exerting yourself you will get wet with sweat anyway. But as Kerry stated, depending on the temperature staying warm can be critical. I would also suggest keeping a towel or two and dry clothes in the car to change into after the ride as driving home in wet/muddy clothes is not pleasant.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.