Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone make one? I'm interested in extending a head tube about 25mm. I could have a machinist buddy cut one in a lathe. I don't expect that most frame manufacturers would recommend it, but I don't see any problem with the idea, structurally (under the top cup, the bottom would be another story). Of course it would have to be at least a few mm longer than the part of the headset that normally presses into the frame. Maybe preferable to that many additional spacers under the stem.

·
Registered
799 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks, I know I'd seen one somewhere before, but I couldn't remember where. I think I can have a buddy cut one much cheaper, but it wouldn't say Serotta on it. Maybe I could wrap it with a faux-carbon sticker. ;^)

The only trick I can see might be getting a headset back out of it if you wanted to.

·
Registered
151 Posts
If your machinist friend can't make you one he should quit now.

Getting it back out shouldn't be too hard.

Getting it back out in a reuseable state might be a little trickier.

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Specialized offerd one on their website a while back, and Cannondale's Synapse bike came with one last year, though it was for an integrated headset, not sure how that worked.

·
duh...
9,658 Posts
fallzboater said:
Thanks, I know I'd seen one somewhere before, but I couldn't remember where. I think I can have a buddy cut one much cheaper, but it wouldn't say Serotta on it. Maybe I could wrap it with a faux-carbon sticker. ;^)

The only trick I can see might be getting a headset back out of it if you wanted to.

not saying 'serotta' on it would be a bonus

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
head tube extender

I put one of the Serotta extenders on my new Bob Jackson frame because the head tube was 1.5 cm shorter than they told me it would be. The Serotta Heads-Up adds 2 cm to the head tube length. I could have achieved the same result with 2 cm of spacers, but I had the Serotta thingie so decided to give it a try. It stands out more than I would like, but does the job. I probably would just use spacers if I had it to do over again.

·
Registered
2,655 Posts
You Jackson

Looks nice and we've never seen pics. BTW, that a scope or light? Ha ha!

tarwheel2 said:
I put one of the Serotta extenders on my new Bob Jackson frame because the head tube was 1.5 cm shorter than they told me it would be. The Serotta Heads-Up adds 2 cm to the head tube length. I could have achieved the same result with 2 cm of spacers, but I had the Serotta thingie so decided to give it a try. It stands out more than I would like, but does the job. I probably would just use spacers if I had it to do over again.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
That's my headlight, a Fenix L2D. It's puts out an amazing amount of light (180 lumens) with just two AA batteries. I posted more photos of my BJ last week in the commuting & touring forum.

·
Registered
557 Posts
Sorry about the thread dredge, but does anyone still make these? I don't see them on the Serotta site.

·
Registered
5,830 Posts
Eighthinch makes a headtube extender that is functionally equivalent to the Serotta and costs a mere fraction ($5 on Amazon). I've use the Serotta and Eighthinch extenders on bikes and they both work fine. The Eighthinch model is available in black as well as silver, for 1" or 1-1/8' head tubes.

Eighth Inch Headtube Extenders

·
Steaming piles of opinion
10,503 Posts
Eighthinch makes a headtube extender that is functionally equivalent to the Serotta and costs a mere fraction ($5 on Amazon). I've use the Serotta and Eighthinch extenders on bikes and they both work fine. The Eighthinch model is available in black as well as silver, for 1" or 1-1/8' head tubes.

Eighth Inch Headtube Extenders
I have to admit that those freak me out. They intend them for fixie riders to use on the bottom of the head tube (check the description and look at the logo direction.) And made of aluminum.

Rational or not, I can wrap my head around a steel or ti (and maybe even alloy) top extension, but no way can I imagine putting one on the bottom. And maybe the "USE AT YOUR OWN RISK!" disclaimer has a little to do with it.

Yeah, you can use them as top extenders, too, which makes this moot, but...

1 - 15 of 15 Posts