Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok I got my new merlin IS 6/4 Headset cups and was about to install them when I realized that my Park tools Headset Press does not have a wide enough adapter to press the cups in along the outer (Top) portions of the cups. I do not want to damage the inner surface that the bearings with rest on.... Please help? Would a Chris King adapter be wide enough? Should a look for a over built thick washer to use? Please provide your advice. Thanks!

· No team-cest unless 8+!
7,287 Posts
g-Bike said:
Ok I got my new merlin IS 6/4 Headset cups and was about to install them when I realized that my Park tools Headset Press does not have a wide enough adapter to press the cups in along the outer (Top) portions of the cups. I do not want to damage the inner surface that the bearings with rest on.... Please help? Would a Chris King adapter be wide enough? Should a look for a over built thick washer to use? Please provide your advice. Thanks!

What headset press are you using? a gigantic washer is okay. it is also possible to use headset cups from and old headset.

it should also be okay to press the bearing surface-- but use good judgement-- nothing sharp or nothing with protrusions

· chamois creme addict
1,479 Posts
Flip the adapters over

g-Bike said:
I did this a couple of years ago, replacing the original IS cups that did not work well with either Cane Creek or Campy standard with the newer ones that are Cane Creek-specific. I recall that I just flipped the Park adapters over so the larger flat surface was contacting the cups. You could also use the King adapters flipped over.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.