Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Obviously can't give you a guarantee that the rim is OK; ride at your own risk.

BUT, I've drilled rims for schrader with absolutely no issue.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,796 Posts
if you're running schrader, no problem. If you're running presta, you can get adapters\shims to fill the void left by the smaller diameter valve stem, no problem.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Continental supplies a stepped nut with its presta valve tubes. I believe the stepped part of the nut fits in a schrader size hole and will keep the valve stem centered.

·
Cpark
2,062 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Continental supplies a stepped nut with its presta valve tubes. I believe the stepped part of the nut fits in a schrader size hole and will keep the valve stem centered.

I agree, I have done this a couple of times in this situation. It works well for me.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,440 Posts
If this rim was designed to be used with Presta, it was probably for a reason.

This is mostly a safety issue. Remember that any hole drilled into a rim takes material away from it and will make that point weaker. I certainly wouldn't recommend using a 15mm (internal width) rim that this was done to. There are plenty of 19mm rims that use Schraeder. Yours is 17mm. I would get the advice of a reputable bike shop before riding these.

·
Registered
4 Posts
*Assuming* they were drilled properly, at your weight, I personally think they are fine.

Again standard disclaimer - no guarantee, ride at your own risk, yada yada.

Sent using Tapatalk

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,440 Posts
*Assuming* they were drilled properly, at your weight, I personally think they are fine.

Again standard disclaimer - no guarantee, ride at your own risk, yada yada.

Sent using Tapatalk
Do you love your mother? Would you put her on those wheels? :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts