Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So lately I've been on a huge french-music kick, and I found some songs that I really kind of like.

The first two are from Francis Cabrel - La robe et l'échelle and Le chêne liège. He draws heavily from Bob Dylan, etc - kind of a folksy feeling. I really like it at night time, or when it's quiet. He reminds me of Aaron, the third video.

Aaron is a kind of really depressing singer. A lot of his stuff is in English, but I like this one more than the others. He's got an incredible ability to convey impression in his voice, but alas, that just makes his songs more depressing. I find he's really good for driving, except that you get to wherever you're going very grim!

The fourth is La Vie est Belle Muffin by MC Solaar. It's hiphop, but it's unlike American hiphop. Solaar is unbelievably smooth, and known for having really deep and philosophical lyrics. He doesn't swear like the American rappers - it's a more mature, musical approach to music. The fifth is Le Rabbi Muffin by MC Solaar. It's his newest single. I love it - it's quirky and funny, and the music video is hilarious.

The sixth is Tomber La Chemise, which means Take off your shirt. It's a French saying for "Get ready to work." It's by Zebda, and there's not a lot to say other than that it's just fun!

La robe et l'échelle - Francis Cabel

Le chêne liège

Le Tunnel D'Or - Aaron

La Vie est Belle - MC Solaar

Le Rabbi Muffin - MC Solaar

And finally... Tomber La Chemise - Zebda!

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
10ae1203 said:
Oh, I thought you meant like Gabriel Faure or something...
Ah no, more that at least around me, if you're listening to music in a foreign language and you aren't from that country, you're a pretentious ass. :p

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
i've always like mc solaar

la belle et le bad boy

don't know if it counts as "french" but luna's "bonnie et clyde" is a good one

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Haven't heard it! There's really not a lot of French music here, surprisingly. American products completely dominate the entertainment industry (with the exception of Brit pop) - maybe one in three movies that people watch are French.

Musicwise they're a bit better - I'd say only 1/2 of the songs are American, but 2/3 are definitely in English - Britpop or stuff done in Europe, in English. The older people tend to listen to more French music, while the younger tend to listen to almost only English music.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
ignore the stupid video, but the song is right

and an okay recording

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
La Belle et Le Bad Boy is great! Thanks, hadn't seen that :thumbsup:

·
disgruntled pigskin fan
3,224 Posts
Nice stuff, indeed. French is such a beautiful language, when paired to music some magical stuff happens.

You want pretentious French music (well Quebecian really, but it's close enough), how 'bout some prog rock from Harmonium.

·
tofurkey hunting
4,733 Posts
very nice...i like when arcade fire does their stuff in french

·
RoadBikeReview's Member
5,505 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Aha thats great! It's a bit cheery for a Sunday morning! I think if someone played that for me after a (good) Saturday night, I'd have to kill them.

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,285 Posts
I like Francis Cabrel a lot. The rest, not quite as much.

·
Registered
216 Posts
I like Cabrel's sappy stuff

It's a little embarassing to admit but I'm a big fan of his love songs: Je l'aime a mourir, L'Encre de tes yeux, etc. and all that

·
Registered
216 Posts
I like Cabrel's sappy stuff

It's a little embarassing to admit but I'm a big fan of his love songs: Je l'aime a mourir, L'Encre de tes yeux, etc. and all that

·
Devoid of all flim-flam
7,285 Posts
There's a small but passionate Gypsy Jazz contingent on this website. It consists of you and me.

·
Banned
7,134 Posts
http://www. youtube.com/watch?v=-kS2isUJvto
Melissa NKonda "Nouveaux Horizons" en images !

He's my favourite singer period.... but that's a cult thing Gainsbourg

I'm out of time, I do have a slew of urls on another lappytoppy ...not here though.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.