1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
660 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
http://nyvelocity.com/content/interviews/2009/paul-kimmage

Nik

<<
AS: In your book, it almost seems as though, even though there was rampant doping in your time, you felt a lot of pressure, you felt you were at a disadvantage, it seemed like it was almost quaint in comparison. People would offer you something, you'd say no, they'd smile and say 'ok, that's fine'. It seems that at some point it became a lot more hardcore. You couldn't say no any more.

PK: That's partly due to the nature of the drugs themselves. We were talking about testosterone, cortisone, and then in the races where there's no control or limited control, amphetamines. Now, obviously amphetamines made a huge difference, the other stuff, made a difference, but not the same kind of difference as drugs like EPO, where you actually could not compete without those. So the choices were much harder in the years after mine, the 90's, it became much harder to say no. While there was rampant abuse in my time, I don't think it altered, for example, if I had taken testosterone, cortisone, stuff like that for the Tours that I rode, there isn't a chance in hell I'd have won the Tour. Might've won a stage, certainly would've been a better rider. But in terms of winning a Tour, absolutely no way. So I don't think overall, the drugs had the same impact on the hierarchy of the sport as it did after that.

There's that old saying, you can't make a donkey into a racehorse. Well, I think the nature of the drugs that came into the sport in the 90's the EPO, the growth hormone, stuff like that, I think you actually could transform a donkey into a racehorse, and that was the difference. And that's what made it hard to say no. So if it's quaint, it's quaint for that reason.

·
Banned
388 Posts
Yeah that's the most detailed interview I've ever seen him giving. The thing that leaps out at you as you're reading it is that above all else, he only wants what's best for the sport.

·
Still waiting......
1,321 Posts
Thanks for posting this. Interesting read. Also found the Kimmage/Vaughters interview based on this article, haven't been through it yet.

·
Banned
25 Posts
Cebollas

Having those kinds of cycling credentials makes his insight and opinion legit. His commitment to the "truth" strengthens his validity, in my mind.
He's got some onions, that's for sure.
Great find. Thanks a lot.

·
Registered
109 Posts
papisimo9807 said:
Having those kinds of cycling credentials makes his insight and opinion legit. His commitment to the "truth" strengthens his validity, in my mind.
He's got some onions, that's for sure.
Great find. Thanks a lot.
And none of you mention PK's own doping admission. He conveniently brushes it off by saying that it wasn’t illegal at the time - and that he only did it 3 times in a criterium...

...Hmm... Given that LA has never been caught perhaps LA's doping program is technically not illegal at the moment????

1 - 5 of 5 Posts