Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
21,689 Posts
Yes things have changed. Most bearings on a bike these days are sealed. You risk damaging the seal trying to remove, clean and repack the bearings. You are better off running those bearings until they wear out and then replace.
Can't really agree with this as a general statement. While it surely is possible to damage the seals, they are quite easy to remove. If the bearings have replaceable cartridge bearings then OK, let them crap out and replace the bearing unit. But not all are built that way and the OP needs to figure out the details of what is on the bike and then decide.

Well designed bearing systems (whether cartridge or not) typically will be able to go a lot longer before service than the OP's 2,000 mile intervals.

·
Registered
21,689 Posts
As a minimum, I would recommend also checking the following items, in general, every important nut/bolt on the bike every 1-2K miles or less
I do a total overhaul of the bike every winter. Everything that comes apart is taken apart, cleaned, and lubed. I cannot remember the last time ANYTHING came loose during the season. For me that's 9-10K miles between overhauls. I've never felt the need to go around checking bolts every 3-6 weeks.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts