Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been bringing my 2012 Damocles (SRAM Force groupset) to my LBS for an end of year checkup and maintenance. The bike runs extremely well at the moment, due in no small part to its new wheelset (Archetype rims/T-11 hubs/Spaim triple-butted spokes - nothing but great things to say about the combo) along with a new cassette and chain.

My concern is that now that I'm closing in on 5,000 mi, things like the BB and headset bearings and perhaps the pedal bearings, need repacking. The guys at the LBS seem pretty competent and have replaced some cables and made adjustments, but when I asked about the above, they stated their inspection of the bike didn't turn up any potential issues and didn't think that those bearings needed servicing.

This is my first "modern" bike. Until 2012, my maintenance experience was on a Trek Elance with Shimano/Sugino equipment where few special tools were needed. I simply did major servicing, including repacking all the bearings, every couple of thousand miles, regardless. Is that maintenance assumption, like my 30+ year-old Trek, outdated? Is it really the case that new bikes don't require that level of PM and it's OK to wait for servicing until there's some indication that it's needed?

1 - 1 of 1 Posts