Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
1,469 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
greetings all

a male (if it makes a difference?) road rider seeking long distance riding advice.....

I am looking for advice, for longer rides of 100miles or so, in the delicate area of knicks chamois and the "butt" contact surface. What is recommended as a preventative measure to minimise the risk of ingrowns, saddle sores, etc ? Some powder or cream or dare I say shave? What do the pro-riders do/use in grand tours or those doing RAAM events, for example?

You can safely assume everything is clean before the ride. What else can I do to avoid nasty surprises?

And also, should I use the same approach (cream, powder, etc?) for shorter rides of say 50 miles or only for longer ones?

thanks in advance

· Registered
18 Posts
Works for me

I was using Chamis Butt'r, but it seemed like every time I bought a new bottle, it was $1 more then the last time. At $14.95 I felt there had to be a cheaper way.
Then I saw a blirb in a race magazine from a retired racer who always used Noxemza skin cream. It's about 1/3 the price, works great and can be purchased easily at any drug store or supermarket.
Been using it for about 6 months with zero saddle sores.:D

· Registered
611 Posts
Pardon me for taking this discussion in the direction I'm about to, but don't these products give one a greasy, slimy feeling where a cool, dry feeling is generally preferable? If so, is it something you just get used to? I haven't had issues that force me to try one of these solutions, but I am doing a tri soon, and am increasing my mileage, so I could see it happening.

Thanks,
Jim

· Registered
175 Posts
Seamus said:
Pardon me for taking this discussion in the direction I'm about to, but don't these products give one a greasy, slimy feeling where a cool, dry feeling is generally preferable? If so, is it something you just get used to? I haven't had issues that force me to try one of these solutions, but I am doing a tri soon, and am increasing my mileage, so I could see it happening.

Thanks,
Jim
You get the greasy feeling only right after you put it on. Once your on the bike, you don't even feel it or even think about it. I only recently started using it for Time Trials, but now I need it every ride. Once you try it, you can't go back!

· Professional Lurker
242 Posts
Other (and far less expensive) options include diaper creams such as A&D ointment or Desitin.

For long-distance rides in wet weather, some type of ointment often becomes essential.

I suppose if you wanted the fresh feel of Assos, you could always just add some menthol and a bit of isopropyl alcohol into any of the other products.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.