Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do bike shops usually keep models from previous years out on display, or hidden away until their current stock sells out? Is it considered impolite to ask if they have any older bikes in stock? I have no interest in trying to talk a shop down in price, but at the same time, I don't need a 2009 model if they have a 2006 sitting around for a little less. Plus, any shop that was up front about that sort of thing would instantly get my loyalty.

· Registered
863 Posts
dadwhobikes said:
Do bike shops usually keep models from previous years out on display, or hidden away until their current stock sells out? Is it considered impolite to ask if they have any older bikes in stock? I have no interest in trying to talk a shop down in price, but at the same time, I don't need a 2009 model if they have a 2006 sitting around for a little less. Plus, any shop that was up front about that sort of thing would instantly get my loyalty.
All my shops keep the older models on the floor, with sale prices on them, trying to get rid of them. We have one shop in particular that has several nice new older bikes (2-3 years old) that have Ultegra 9sp on them. They still want over 3 grand for 1 or 2, and apparently don't understand why they don't sell. Hopefully your shop will come off its high horse if has some new old stock, and you can get a great deal. It can't hurt to ask.

· Registered
11,555 Posts
SleeveleSS said:
We have one shop in particular that has several nice new older bikes (2-3 years old) that have Ultegra 9sp on them. They still want over 3 grand for 1 or 2, and apparently don't understand why they don't sell
Someone will buy them eventually, and there's no hurry. They're not a whole lot of trouble to keep around. No one steals their wheels (car business) and they don't eat expensive grains in the front and crap all over the place in the rear (horse business). :D

to the OP: make an offer on older bikes, keeping in mind that margins on bicycles aren't that great to begin with.

· Registered
863 Posts
wim said:
Someone will buy them eventually, and there's no hurry. They're not a whole lot of trouble to keep around. No one steals their wheels (car business) and they don't eat expensive grains in the front and crap all over the place in the rear (horse business). :D

to the OP: make an offer on older bikes, keeping in mind that margins on bicycles aren't that great to begin with.

Well, that is a lot of inventory for them to just have lying around. I'm sure if they had the choice, they would rather those five slots be taken up with a better selection of new bikes, than older 9 sp. stuff at the same price as new stuff. If I owned the place I would be anxious to get them out of there. That may just be me.

· Registered
188 Posts
Depending on how long the bike has been sitting there you could get a killer deal. The owner might just want it gone as it's taking up space that a new bike could fill. A good example of this...I got an Oakley watch on ebay a while back for just over $500 shipped. The watch retails in stores here for $2500. It was new back in 98 I believe. I went into a store a few mths ago and saw another version of the watch I bought and started talking to the owner. He wanted it gone and told me that I could have it for the same price as I got the one on ebay for. Old stock takes up space and owners may view it as a sunk cost that they will be happy to recoup even part of just to have it gone. Give em a decent offer and they may jump on it.

· Registered
68 Posts
wim said:

No but they are depreciating with every tick of the clock.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.