Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just tore down my 2001 Trek 2300 frameset and am thinking of selling it. I am the only owner and it's in fair/good condition. Nice and straight, no dings, but there are some cable rub marks here and there and torn decals. It's been ridden plenty. It was Trek's top of the line aluminum frame when I bought it. It also comes with an Icon carbon fork and a Cane Creek S2 headset that had new bearings installed 2 years ago. It would make a great crit bike.

I was hoping to get $300, but after poking around ebay and the classifieds here, that seems a little high. What's a fair price for this frameset? Here's a crappy cell phone pic.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Given that a new aluminum frameset of similar quality can be had for under $300 from several online retailers (Performance, Nashbar, Leader), a 7 year old used frameset is probably worth $150 tops.

It's not a criticism, just simple reality of used Aluminum frames

·
Registered
1,325 Posts
FWIW I sold a 2003 Cannondale CAAD 8 frame and fork a few months back for $150. The frame had about 10,000 miles on it, but was still in good condition. I agree with the $100 - $150 estimate.

Unless you really need the cash or just don't want the frame anymore keep it for a spare or build a single speed. I have completely moved away from aluminum and had no need for the frame so that is why I sold mine.

·
i like whiskey
8,493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm pretty much moving totally to steel, so I have no need for this frame anymore. I already have a single speed and a fixie, so those are covered. I moved the Ultegra group over to a Merckx MXL a few weeks ago and have a Merckx Strada OS in a box waiting to be built. So if I don't get rid of it, it will just be collecting dust in my garage.

I think I'll clean it up and throw it up on ebay and in the classifieds here. See if someone can use it. It really would be a perfect crit frame for someone. Nice and stiff but not so fancy that you'd worry about crashing it. If I could get $150, I'd be happy. That would at least get me a Nitto seatpost, stem and bars for the Strada.

·
Registered
332 Posts
You'd be surprised how much stuff goes for on ebay. I don't think I've seen any aluminum frames end cheaper than 175 + 75 shipping recently. Most of the bids come in during the last five minutes... I was watching a Vitus frame go from $75 to over $350 in those last minutes. My own frame went from about 280 to 585.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.