Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

Finally I am to start cycling on the road. Want to start with a used bike before buying a new and expensive one. Have been offered a Cannondale CAAD7 team replica (2003) for 700 USD. Does it sound like a fair price? Don't have the other details of the bike unfortunately.

Thanks

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
In terms of a used bike, those other details are often more important then the frame.

Do some digging and let us know...

The biggest issue, is does it fit?

Dura Ace/Ultegra/105?
8,9,10 speed?

condition of the bike, does it shift like a new one?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
some more info

Thanks, what I have in addition so far is:

New Cannondale Slice full-carbon fork
Crank: Cannondale Si Hollowgram 39/53
Headset: Campagnolo Hiddenset
rims/hubs/spokes: Mavic Ksyrium SL
Cateye computer
seatpost: USE Alien Carbon
HAndlebar/stem: 3T Zepp XL
Shifters/chain/rear cogs: Campagnolo Record

The bike fits, and is in good shape (minor paint damages, but seems to be well maintained).

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
Agree with BBJ. It's a very good deal. Even if some of the parts had wear (minor stuff, brake pads, chain, cables, cassette) it would be worth snagging at that price. Enjoy!

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
yeah, if that's not a "buddy price" then it's almost too good to be true. If this were eBay, presuming "normal" wear,

The CAAD7 F&F would probably go for $300-400
Ksyrium SSC SL wheels $500-600
Record shifters, derailleurs $400-500

that's WITHOUT all the other stuff on the bike!

The only thing I'd do when you got the chance is replace the USE Alien carbon seatpost -- lots of people have had those snap, I hear -- and check into whether that 3T stem / bar was affected by some recent recalls.

Cannondale Al frames are pretty nice, too.

·
Registered
53 Posts
thats not bad at all.

i recently got one on ebay for about $900 shipped - a 2000 cannondale saeco with dura ace gruppo and 2 sets of wheelsets ( dura ace hub+velocity deep v ..... neuvation M28 ).
id say its not bad a deal i got , some wear but a lot of life left on the drivetrain.

·
You're Not the Boss of Me
7,749 Posts
Argentius said:
yeah, if that's not a "buddy price" then it's almost too good to be true. If this were eBay, presuming "normal" wear,

The CAAD7 F&F would probably go for $300-400
Ksyrium SSC SL wheels $500-600
Record shifters, derailleurs $400-500

that's WITHOUT all the other stuff on the bike!

The only thing I'd do when you got the chance is replace the USE Alien carbon seatpost -- lots of people have had those snap, I hear -- and check into whether that 3T stem / bar was affected by some recent recalls.

Cannondale Al frames are pretty nice, too.
I think those estimates are WAY high for stuff that's 3-4 seasons old in each category, and I've never heard anything but internet innuendo support the claim about the Alien seatpost either. This bike is a very good price, but let's not get carried away.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
I don't know who

jtolleson said:
I think those estimates are WAY high for stuff that's ... This bike is a very good price, but let's not get carried away.
Is carried away on eBay, but with Campag stuff sometimes I wonder what gets into the heads of these bidders!

Seriously, I parted out my old ride this winter because the frame was junked, and I bought a new bike complete anyhow. Here's what it sold for :

This was all 9-speed Chorus, mind you, not current stuff.

Ergopower levers = $140
Crankset + BB = $55
Derailleurs F+R = $110
2 x Chorus 9-speed Cassettes = $60
Chorus Brakes, non-differential = $75

Seriously, I got about $750 from parting that sucker out. I was shocked. I expected half of that.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.