Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I seem to read here about people finding prices in the stores under MSRP. Here in the DC area no one seems to budge under MSRP for anything.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
in NYC it is normal to get a discount of about 20-30% even on brand new 2011 bikes.

·
Registered
13 Posts
mgurtzweiler said:
Dealer prices are 1140 and 1640 or so for the pro and s-works respectively.

Useful for negotiations ;)
Which dealer would budge? Best price I found in the DC area was 2700 for the s-works.

·
Registered
717 Posts
mgurtzweiler said:
Dealer prices are 1140 and 1640 or so for the pro and s-works respectively.

Useful for negotiations ;)
Both of those prices would be close to accurate only for the top tier of Specialized dealers. Smaller shops pay substantially more than that. Particularly on the S-Works.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Tagez said:
About 2 months ago I picked up a 2010 S-Works SL3 Red for $4,300.00 brand new. I think it was a great buy.
Nice! Even with the knowledge of the prices above, still no DC area dealer would go below MSRP and the 2010s are all gone. And all the dealers are telling me that the wait time for an order is January.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Happy with small discount

I got my 2011 Roubaix Comp about six weeks ago from my LBS for just under $2500, with an MSRP of $2600. A large operation in Seattle, about four hours away, has it for $2300 on their web site, but I chose to buy local for the service. They offer two years of free maintenance, not just a 30 day quick tune up, and have been very helpful and friendly. Not a price to brag about, but I feel good about it. They are a small shop, so I suspect that their price to Specialized is higher than for the big guys.

BTW, I absolutely love the Comp (new 105, not Rival). It replaces a 1991 Specialized Sirrus road bike (before it morphed into a commuter bike with upright bars), and is smooth and fast.

·
Registered
23 Posts
epret said:
Nice! Even with the knowledge of the prices above, still no DC area dealer would go below MSRP and the 2010s are all gone. And all the dealers are telling me that the wait time for an order is January.
Right! That's the only reason I bought the S-Works, I was looking for 2010 pro at a discount but they were all sold out. Tell I found this SL3 at the same or better price the a 2011 pro.

·
Just Plain Bitter
8,602 Posts
Just got 2010 Roubaix Pro frameset for $1400. It is normal in SoCal for the prices to be below MSRP from day one. I was also told 2011 Roubaix models I would have to wait until January for delivery.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Only Tarmac Comps can be found in the DC area for my size. There's like some kind of price fixing agreement between all the dealers here.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Ninja10 said:
I just picked up my 2011 Roubaix Elite Apex for $1450 and the Specialized website listed it for $2000.
Oh WOW, this is a STEAL!!!! How in the world did you manage to get this price? Where do you live?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts