Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 365 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Do yourself a favor and buy a frame from a recognized builder, avoid this situation:

I provided specs to Pride Cycles for a custom ti frame. The first CAD drawing came to me riddled with mistakes. Unfortunately, they don't actually draw up their frames but rather they use Bike Forest free internet software to draw the frames. So, because of that software I was able to catch some of the mistakes on the CAD drawing but there was one that just wasn't obvious based on the wonky Bike Forest drawing. So, they built the frame not to my specs. When I got the frame the mistake was obvious. (In addition, the frame was poorly built, most notably the dropouts were rotated toward the back of the bike, almost like rear-facing dropouts on a TT bike.) After some back and forth Pride agreed to build me a new frame once they sold the one they had already built. I felt that was fair. I even offered to pay additional money to cover their costs--they said no, they felt bad for screwing up the first frame. I waited patiently for two months. Finally Pride said they had sold the frame and would begin to build mine. Fine.

A month and a half or so later, I still didn't have a frame. So I contacted Pride, and only got BS responses. So I said I would have no option but to file suit, and then they said they'd build the frame. I kept getting stuff like "the tubes are mitered we just need to weld it up." Then they said they had shipped the frame. I asked for the tracking number, and they said UPS's server was down and they couldn't pull the tracking no. for me. I called UPS, and they said there was no problem with their server. So I called back to Pride, and they said it had actually shipped USPS. They immediately started acting as though the frame was lost in the mail, even though they said it had shipped just two days before. They said that they were trying to get the tracking no. from USPS in Chattanooga, from a "Brenda" at the main branch. I called that same branch, and a woman who had worked there for 28 years said there was no Brenda there. There had never been a Brenda. So I called Pride back. They said they were pissed, they would never ship USPS again. They said that they would build a second bike (again, this was only a few days after they promised they had shipped the bike USPS, but they were acting as though the "first" frame was lost). So they promised me a tracking number. Now, a week later, they won't return my calls or answer my emails.

So, I got screwed. I'm out $1200. Should I have caught the mistakes on the CAD drawing? Maybe. Maybe I should have called them and said the drawing wasn't clear, let's walk through it. But the mistake was on the C-C seat tube measurement, which I had provided to them. I just didn't think they would simply screw it up (in my mind, CAD drawings are meant to ensure that you are fine with the front center distance, for example, based on the numbers you provide, not to make sure that the frame builder didn't screw up the numbers you provided). But in the end, maybe I should have just bought a Lynskey or something like that and I'd be happy today.

·
Registered
3,446 Posts
Sorry to hear about that. If you haven't already, I'd make a call to their local law enforcement and have them go out and have a little chat with them on your behalf.

For $100 more than what you paid, Haberno Cycles would have done a custom geometry for you based on one of their current builds. In case you get your money back, it is an option you could explore.

·
Milk was a bad choice.
1,338 Posts
Don't leave it at that. That's your $1200 you're talking about. If the payment has already cleared, then you're just going to have to bother the crap out of them. You should call frequently demanding a refund. You could also file a complaint with the BBB in their area. Also, the mention about getting local law enforcement involved isn't a bad idea either. This is certainly a fraudulent dealing and it seems that there are definitely grounds for law enforcement to get involved.

But definitely don't let it slide.

·
Registered
851 Posts
erj549 said:
Also, the mention about getting local law enforcement involved isn't a bad idea either. This is certainly a fraudulent dealing and it seems that there are definitely grounds for law enforcement to get involved.
If it's across state lines it could count as a federal crime, perhaps mail fraud. A call from the FBI might scare them into delivering.

Asad

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I just got a private message on roadbikereview from someone who had almost the same experience--had to return the first frame, then never got the second. This appears to be a pattern, I think Pride is just a rip-off outfit.

·
RoadBikeRider
907 Posts
Forget the frame, just tell them you want a refund since they did not deliver the goods. If the first frame was so messed up why would you even want a replacement from them?

·
Registered
377 Posts
If you need a phone number for local law enforcement, pm me. Their shop is a about 2 miles south of the local PD and I live dead center of the 2

·
Registered
25 Posts
Pride Nightmare

I am the guy with the incredibly similar experience.

I am currently suffering through a nightmare with Pride. I had them build a custom geometry cross frame due to issues I have with my back. They were great to work with initially and I received the frame with out a problem. A couple months later when I proceeded to build the frame up it turns out the cantilever bosses were installed upside down and the rear brake hanger was not centered. Pride said it was due to a bad employee who screwed up several frames and had since been fired. They told me they would fix it and send it back to me. I returned the frame to them and it has been eight weeks. The only communication I received once I sent the frame back was if I initiated it. Supposedly the frame was shipped back to me 3 weeks ago via USPS, but I never received it or any shipping info. They state it was delivered to the post office over three weeks ago, but where is it??

So now the frame appears to have been lost, but still no communication from Pride. I have requested a full refund, but still no communication from Pride. I have left numerous phone messges and e-mails. I have filed a complaint with the BBB in their area, the TN consumer affairs division, I contacted the USPS, and I filed a dispute with my cc company.

Needless to say, their customer service sucks. If the true test of a company is dealing with them when there is an issue then Pride fails.

·
Banned
1,317 Posts
wow this company is stealing money left and right and they're still in business? you guys need to contact your CC company and police office and their local police office, and the owner's wives for some relief for the troubles they caused you. $1200 is no joke.

·
Registered
265 Posts
BTW, they have a twitter account here:
http://twitter.com/PrideCycles

(quite active, so they should damn well be able to get back to you in 24 hours).

Also their facebook page:
http://www.facebook.com/PRIDEcycles?ref=search

You won't be able to post on their wall until they approve you, so I suggest you wait for approval and post at an odd hour of the day so they don't remove it right away and as many as possible of the people on their friend list see it.

·
Registered
265 Posts
PS:

If you have an account on bikeforums I'd recommend posting this incident on there too to get the ball rolling.

If they still don't reach out, create a free blog somewhere (make sure you name it after the company) and publish some of your correspondence and pictures (you did take pictures of everything that was wrong I hope).

·
Bike Ninja
246 Posts
What if this thread is a way to make pridecycles look bad. What if the OP got his bike, and pridecycles didn't use a tracking when they sent it out, and he is trying to take advantage. Now it could be either or, I'm just saying, let's be fair here, there are two sides to every story.

Wouldn't you have filed a chargeback already if this indeed was true? Or, do you have a history of filing chargebacks that is preventing you from doing so? I don't know, it just seems to me like filing a chargeback with your bank would be your only avenue of approach besides small claims court. LE can't do anything, because for all they know, PrideCycles did send out the frame and it was lost in the mail. In that case, mail insurance should have covered the cost I would think? I don't understand why pridecycles wouldn't have tracking information on frames they send out.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
SilentAssassin said:
What if this thread is a way to make pridecycles look bad. What if the OP got his bike, and pridecycles didn't use a tracking when they sent it out, and he is trying to take advantage. Now it could be either or, I'm just saying, let's be fair here, there are two sides to every story.

Wouldn't you have filed a chargeback already if this indeed was true? Or, do you have a history of filing chargebacks that is preventing you from doing so? I don't know, it just seems to me like filing a chargeback with your bank would be your only avenue of approach besides small claims court. LE can't do anything, because for all they know, PrideCycles did send out the frame and it was lost in the mail. In that case, mail insurance should have covered the cost I would think? I don't understand why pridecycles wouldn't have tracking information on frames they send out.
I ordered and paid for the frame more than 90 days ago, on my debit card. There's no way for the bank to contest the charge, according to my bank manager. And I gave Pride the benefit of the doubt. In this case, honestly, I presented their side to the story--that I missed one of the many mistakes they made on the CAD drawing. But they agreed it was their mistake and agreed to make me a new frame. That was back in April. And if the frame was lost in the mail, and they were in fact dealing with someone at the post office, there would be a way to verify it. They told me to talk to "Brenda." But there is no Brenda, just like there is no frame. And they're telling the other poster who is waiting for his frame the exact same story. I don't want Pride to look bad, I just wanted to tell my side of the story. :mad2:

·
Registered
194 Posts
SilentAssassin said:
What would be the point in doing this? Maybe the owner from Pride is dating his ex? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Responding to Silent Assassin:

No, $1264 is not enough for ME to commit fraud or liable.

I have forwarded this thread on to David and Pam Atkins, the owners of Pride, and I hope they respond. If not, I hope they respond either to the BBB or the TN Dept of Consumer Affairs. I have filed a written complaint with my CC company, but I am beyond 120 days out, so I am not sure what they will do. My next step is filing in small claims court, but I will need to add travel expenses to TN to the suit.

A little commuincation and honesty would have saved everyone a lot of trouble.

1 - 20 of 365 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.