Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Honey Smack!
7,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I've managed to get my company as an auxilary sponsor for a local crit series (which I'm doing my first race ever in this coming Tuesday...)

What would you want to see as a Prime for around the 30-40 buck mark?

I'm still kind of new to this so not sure what's common? Wanted? Groaned over?

etc.

and if you're in the Little Rock, AR area...

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/ronderesults

come join us!

· Premium Member
15,996 Posts
The only thing people are really willing to sprint for is cash, those bike racers are a greedy bunch!

Gift certificates aren't a bad call either.

Some bike-related merchandise can be all right, but people groan over "random sponsor's product."

A friend in a men's 3's race once won a prime that was a basket of assorted lotions and grooming products from a sponsor. That was good for a laugh...

Sylint said:
So I've managed to get my company as an auxilary sponsor for a local crit series (which I'm doing my first race ever in this coming Tuesday...)

What would you want to see as a Prime for around the 30-40 buck mark?

I'm still kind of new to this so not sure what's common? Wanted? Groaned over?

etc.

and if you're in the Little Rock, AR area...

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/ronderesults

come join us!

465 Posts
Think of the things that aren't expensive but need replaced all the time on the bike, bar tape, tires, chain, tubes.

Then there's clothing, jersey's t-shirts, gloves, or even food, a lot of chipotle burritos coupons are prime prizes in my area.

But the one that seems to always get the most people going for the prime is cash. Give someone the money they paid in entry fee and the race is a success for them, and easily justifies it to the significant other.

· always right sometimes
1,836 Posts
If you can get a bike company to sell you something at cost...spending $40 could end up being a pretty nice prize!

So often, bike parts are either the wrong size or style to satisfy everyone. Maybe a set of high end carbon cages purchased at cost..

The winner could easily sell them on ebay if they don't want them too...

Can't go wrong with cash too!

· Honey Smack!
7,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Argentius said:
The only thing people are really willing to sprint for is cash, those bike racers are a greedy bunch!

Gift certificates aren't a bad call either.

Some bike-related merchandise can be all right, but people groan over "random sponsor's product."

A friend in a men's 3's race once won a prime that was a basket of assorted lotions and grooming products from a sponsor. That was good for a laugh...
Yeah...I'm trying to avoid giving out the cheesey *major insurance company branded* merch here..Although we have some good stuff, I'm not allowed enough on that end for 5 races.

I'm looking at like SWOBO t-shirts, bar tape, or some sort of food or Visa GC.

· but thinking about it
1,441 Posts
Sylint said:
Yeah...I'm trying to avoid giving out the cheesey *major insurance company branded* merch here..Although we have some good stuff, I'm not allowed enough on that end for 5 races.

From that, Visa GC.

Really, cash or a broadly applicable gift certificate is good, but even bike-related gift certificates can be less-than-great because of the geographic issue already noted. You said no beer, but we do a lot of wine primes here (in NorCal) and that's not bad.

Random bike tools are bad. I'd put bar tape in that category, because aren't we all picky about which brand/style/color we use? Food?

If you do go with t-shirts, remember that the size distribution among bike racers isn't the same as among the general population.

Some ridiculously over-priced Rapha item might work, just for the novelty of it.

· Shirtcocker
60,886 Posts
Sylint said:

Socks are lame as are water bottles.

· Honey Smack!
7,990 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
3rensho said:
Gift cards, gas cards, Cracker Barrel cards. I'd love to get a Shell gas card to allow me to drive back home from the race on a free tank of gas.
Well we just ordered 100 $10 GC's for some other promo stuff so I'm stealing some of them for this. Going to see if I can get Competitive to match us or something for something pretty rocking for the final race of the series.

· What Would Google Do.
1,578 Posts
cold hard cash.

· Registered
1,098 Posts
Something I have seen is points for primes. top 3 each prime get 3, 2, 1 which get added to final sprint finishing place. 1st is 10+ primes, 2nd is 9+, etc. Gets the field jumping and lets you pay deeper at the end.

But cash is always good, if that is not an option

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.