Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
12 years ago I retired from USCF racing as a strong cat 3. Last year I got back into form and feel competitive again. So this year, I'm considering getting a license and easing back into racing. What category will I have to race? Do I have a say where I want to go?

I never stopped riding and have lots of experience and don't really want to be put in with cat 4/5 newbie's in their first race. Fitness-wise I feel like I can hang with a cat 3 pack, but will have room to improve within that category. The only twist now is that I'm 32, so I think I have the option of the Master's 30+ category as well.

What would you suggest and what are the normal protocalls with a situation like this?

Thanks in advance.
brewster
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,095 Posts
I think you should talk to your regional upgrade coordinator. I don't know much about it, including whether these guys maintained their licenses as opposed to allowing them to lapse and then getting back into it, but I know guys in your shoes that have 1 and 2 licenses because of what they could do ten or fifteen years ago, even though they couldn't race at that level now.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
Visit the USCF website, enter your information and chances are they will still have you listed as a Cat 3. A friend of mine was a Cat 2 12 years ago and recently applied on the website, he was given the same cat 2 lic. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
274 Posts
Spectrum said:
Visit the USCF website, enter your information and chances are they will still have you listed as a Cat 3. A friend of mine was a Cat 2 12 years ago and recently applied on the website, he was given the same cat 2 lic. Good luck.
Same story. I know a guy who was a cat 2 like ~12 years ago. When he decided to start racing again USAcycling still had him in cat 2. How requested and recieved a downgrade to cat 3.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
68 Posts
You should be the one to decide. Try couple of 4/5 races, and if you feel you can blow everyone away, go for being a cat 3. I am sure results will convince the USCF reps to bump you up, if they havent issued you a cat 3 license right off the bat . I remember two seasons ago at the one of the first spring races, this one guy just took off right at the starting line taking one of his teammates with him, and never to see them again. After third or fourth race like this he was bumped up to cat 3. I think some places wont let you race Masters 30+ unless you're a cat 3 or higher.
 

·
gastarbeiter
Joined
·
1,513 Posts
thanks for the tip. I have to say, i'm pretty surprised they keep records like that.

Like the original poster, I've been thinking of getting back into racing (well, i've been doing some races for the past few years, but unliscensed races) and was reluctant to enter the cat 5s. Now i guess I don't have to, I can be pack fill for the 3s :)

Spectrum said:
Visit the USCF website, enter your information and chances are they will still have you listed as a Cat 3. A friend of mine was a Cat 2 12 years ago and recently applied on the website, he was given the same cat 2 lic. Good luck.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
19 Posts
You can also try contacting your regional rep with a list of your race results from your racing days. They may let you regain your cat 3 status. A team-mate of mine was a pro is South Africa for several years before stopping racing for about 8 years while he went through undergrad/vet school. After starting back riding he turned in his race resume and they asked him what category he wanted to race. He picked Cat 2 as he didnt think he had enough fitness to race Pro/1. He was only riding once or twice a week at most and could still shred our legs, proves what genetics can do for you!
 

·
gastarbeiter
Joined
·
1,513 Posts
i checked the uscf site, and as reports suggest, i'm still there, as a cat 3 who's license expired 11 years ago (was too burnt out to turn in my results from from my last season - which would have made me a 2). not sure if i'll bother getting a new license, seeing as i don't live in the US these days, but still might do it anyway. i get back home enough :)

flying wombat said:
You can also try contacting your regional rep with a list of your race results from your racing days. They may let you regain your cat 3 status. A team-mate of mine was a pro is South Africa for several years before stopping racing for about 8 years while he went through undergrad/vet school. After starting back riding he turned in his race resume and they asked him what category he wanted to race. He picked Cat 2 as he didnt think he had enough fitness to race Pro/1. He was only riding once or twice a week at most and could still shred our legs, proves what genetics can do for you!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,077 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
good comments guys. thanks. Maybe I'm missing something. I'm not seeing on the USCF site where you can call up past member liscense info??? Dang computers! :confused:
 

·
gastarbeiter
Joined
·
1,513 Posts
after reading this thread, i went and checked. i found an old license just in case.

long story short, if you set up a new account, they'll ask name and DOB and license #.

the next page will ask if you're John Doe living in Blah Blah, BL

for whatever reasons the license number online wasn't the same in front of me, but everything else was.

brewster said:
good comments guys. thanks. Maybe I'm missing something. I'm not seeing on the USCF site where you can call up past member liscense info??? Dang computers! :confused:
 

·
gastarbeiter
Joined
·
1,513 Posts
and somewhere next to it there should be an icon to renew

brewster said:
thanks, I got it...says expired in 1996.
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top