Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got my Priority Eight bike and I'm not sure about it - I wanted to see if anyone else was in on the first shipments of the "eight" model. My main concern is the front hydraulic disk brake. I followed the instructions from their video - nothing new, put disk in center of brake and tighten front wheel nuts. My issue is the front disk rubs really bad, pretty good turn of the front wheel and only spins a few times. I've played around with twisting and turning holding the loosened nuts and I can get it to spin without the hydraulic disk rubbing but as soon as I tighten the wheel nuts it rubs badly again. Maybe someone with hydraulic brake experience can help? Thanks in advance!

Caleb

·
Registered
486 Posts
Not sure about about your terminology, but try this......install wheel in dropouts ensuring it is centered. Loosen caliper mounting bolts. While bolts are loose and caliper is free to move around, squeeze brake lever and hold it tight while tightening the caliper mounting bolts with your other hand. Should center the caliper to the rotor.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Great idea, just gave this a shot and still can't get a smooth spin. Your post did help me to really look at the caliper and understand the adjustment screws. The problem is the tolerance is so tight I've been working on it for 30 minutes and just can't get the disk to not rub either one side or the other on the caliper. The disk seems pretty damn straight. I got it to spin smooth a couple times but it was due to me moving the caliper around so much it spread the pads farther apart. As soon as I squeezed the brakes and released them the pads went to their normal spots and rubs again. Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,580 Posts
First, make sure your wheel is fully seated in the dropouts (assuming it's not a thru-axle bike). I spent 30 minutes futzing with a brake caliper once, only to find out the wheel was very slightly askew, and had to do it all again.

Also, is the braking surface (pads) parallel to the rotor? If one or both of the mount posts is not perfectly straight/flat, the caliper won't be parallel, and you'll likely never get it aligned. Check for paint or something else fouling the surface of the caliper mounts. If they are not perfectly flat/smooth and properly aligned to the rotor, you'll have to have a bike shop (or manufacturer) re-face them.

There are lots of good videos on youtube showing how to adjust these.

He's the basics from GCN
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3uCGRAWG2M

Here is Park Tool's explantion of the facing process I tried to describe above
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zBsqYnYj_sE&nohtml5=False

·
Registered
26 Posts
Oh boy...

I work for a bike shop in San Antonio, and we just had some customers bring two of these bikes in for us to build up. I hate to break it to you, but it seems the construction quality on these bikes is not very good. Both bikes had forks that were not welded properly and the dropouts were more than 5mm off from facing each other properly. I would take it to your LBS and have them use a dropout alignment gauge to check yours as well.

We haven't heard back from the customers who are dealing with Priority at the moment. They (the customers) were supposed to come by the shop yesterday to see the bikes for themselves, but they didn't.

I hope your problem is not the same. Good luck to you.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I built one of these up for a customer recently. It's worse than what has been mentioned above. The caliper mounts aren't even remotely in the right position or plane. The IS tab on the fork was welded on about 5mm too high and was not welded on perpendicular to the plane of the wheel. Basically it looked like the caliper was twisted relative to the disc, WAY more than can be fixed with facing.
My customer really liked the bike so we agree to do what we could. I was able to bend the IS tab ever so slightly so that when the IS/PM adapter was mounted I could use a facing tool on the PM adapter. Without bending the tab first, it was misaligned so severely that the pilot on the facing tool wouldn't drop into the bolt holes, it was just really, really bad. After all that I was able to get it squared away and working properly. And yes, the dropouts were misaligned also.

That said, the bike build fee turned into a pro-build with frame prep fee. Seems that's how it always works though, pay now or pay later, either way you're gonna pay.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am a friend of Dave's. He plans to respond here as soon as the moderators allow him to do so.

In the meantime, I can say that the OP's brake mount alignment issue is a known problem on some of the bikes. It's likely the OP will be sent a replacement fork.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Caleb, so sorry about the fork issue. This was our first shipment ever of EIGHT's are we learned a few things no doubt... UPS was way harder on the boxes than we expected, this resulted in many damaged rear fenders and several forks with bent dropouts. In addition, we found that a limited number of customers received forks where the IS tab was welded incorrectly. It sounds like you got one of those and I'm sorry about that. If you can send us an email ([email protected]) we can not only rush you out a new fork, but we'll also pay for all labor costs associated with installing it. We've already built new forks and have them on the way to all affected customers. Please know that we stand behind our bikes 100% and will do anything we can to make sure you love your new bike.

The feedback from the hundreds of customers who didn't damaged forks is that they love their bikes! We've had a lot of shops call in too and be very complementary on the quality of the build. For future shipments of EIGHT's we have a new QC process around the IS mount and we're packing the forks and fenders MUCH better to handle the shipping abuse. Oh, and we're also cutting our kickstands shorter!

@Texico - it sounds like your customer will be coming back with a new forks very soon. Outside of the fork issues, did you have any feedback on the bikes? We would appreciate any thoughts.

@rcb78 - wow, it sounds like you worked really hard on that fork. Thanks for getting the customer riding. If you feel they would benefit from a new fork have the customer contact us. Also if you have any feedback on the bike we would really appreciate it.

Again, outside of these issues which we've resolved for future shipments our customers and shops have sent nothing but positive feedback about the quality of the bike. Know that if there is ever a problem with your bike that we're a company who stands behind everything we sell. Problems can happen in both production and shipping, however we'll always make sure we make them right. Further, if you don't love the bike we'll always take it back! Thanks for your patience and understanding during our first production.

·
Registered
26 Posts
So I spoke with our customers a couple days ago and they are just waiting to receive the new forks and also new fenders. I do like that you seem to be taking care of any issues that may arise quite quickly. The customers said they should have the forks to bring in tomorrow for us to install. I will have a better impression of the bikes after installing the forks and making sure everything works properly, as I was not the tech to start the work on these bikes.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks @Texico, it's appreciated! They told us they needed two forks and one fender (I guess UPS was easier on one box than the other). If they need a second fender please do have them contact us. The new forks will be perfect, and beyond that I think you're going to be pleased with the quality of the bike. Know that if any further problems exist that we stand behind the bikes 100% and are here to help. Thanks for your help in getting them riding, we're glad that they are working with a pro!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
UPDATE: Ok, so I've had my Priority 8 for a month now so I thought I would post an update to what I thought about the bike.

The fork/brake issue - The fork was bent when I got it which caused the issues with the front brake. After contacting Priority I got the best customer service I've ever received from a company. Fast shipping, they paid me back to the install at my local bike shop and follow up emails and phone calls...excellent. I guess they had a fork issue with the early bikes, they took care of it, now that is behind them.

The ride - my background is BMX when I was a kid, started road biking about 15 years ago and now triathlete...and I have to say I love this bike all around. I've taken if for lots of rides, a couple 15-20 miles-ish doing road bike type of riding and several in town stop and go, maneuver type of rides and I really like the way the bike feels. I've never ridden a belt drive bike and it is so smooth and quiet. The Shimano 8 internal is also new to me and it works great, totally different feel, but cool not to hear the chain being thrown around.

Bike quality - before I committed to keeping the bike (before 30 days was up) I had my buddy who ownes the bike shop in Benicia tell me what he thought. I had him install the fork and I told him I need him to tell me what he thought about the bike cause I still had time to return it get all my money back. This is the final reason I kept the bike - he said the bike was solid, welds looked great and he said for $800 the bike was a bargain with the parts installed (hydraulic brakes, Shimano 8, belt drive and Continental tires).

That's it for now, I can't imagine I'd change my mind after more time, but if I do I'll update here. For $800 this is a great little bike that I'm using as a commuter bike, I highly recommend it and since they have a 30 day return policy there seems to be about zero risk in giving it a try.

Caleb

1 - 11 of 11 Posts