Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Folks,

Some tragic news here in Chattanooga this morning. David Meek, proprietor of Privateer Bicycles, was killed while riding this morning.

·
Registered
162 Posts
The driver said that he did not see the cyclist until after he hit him.

Whether the driver did not see David Meek or the driver was attempting to intimidate a cyclist the result is the same. Obviously powerful people do not ride bicycles on the street else something would be done to change the awareness and actions of drivers on this continent sufficiently to reduce the frequency of this type of accident.

He was a father and a husband and no doubt David Meek will be missed.

·
Greg44
44 Posts
Hearts are sad in the Chattanooga Bicycling community over the loss of David. I only talked to him a couple of times but he made a lasting impression on me. I will miss seeing him at the Tuesday CBC ride. Prayers and sympathy to his family and friends.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
Sad.

There are far too many main roads in areas that are not bicycle friendly...read that as too narrow with impatient motorists. With trucks brrr.....

·
Banned
976 Posts
It's qutie sad. . .

To leave family behind prematurely is a horrible thing. I hope he goes to jail, and is sued for every penny he will earn.

One thing I've notice; I wonder how many (% wise) cyclist are killed in the early morning? It seems a majority of these things I read about happen between 5-8am. This is one reason I DO NOT ride my bike until late in the day. Another problem we have were I live (Tourist town) is intoxicated people on the road in these early morning hours.

·
go up
648 Posts
The road David was riding has 2 WIDE lanes going each direction, plus a turn lane. From what we hear, a Chattanooga Policeman had passed David a few minutes prior to his being hit and he said David had his flashing lights on. I don't see any way the truck driver didn't see him.

A group of around 40 of us met this morning to do the Red Bank Ride and remember David. We stopped by his house soon after starting then did the rest of the ride. I didn't know David well but have ridden with him several times over the years. He really seemed to enjoy everything he did.

Someone else posted this on a local forum: His last post on the CBC forum Thursday night, the night before he was killed, "Tomorrow will be a beautiful day. It's the first day of the rest of your life. See you on the road."

·
SpokeMagnet
18 Posts
Possibly pure accident

I have ridden this rode many times. I have not read a police report, but while this is a wide road, it is a main artery between the communities of Red Bank and what we old-timers know as Hixson, and it is possible that Mr Meek had protruding panniers that caught on part of the truck. Mr Meek was behind the truck when he caught, and it is quite possible that the driver was unaware, having already passed him. Not all such accidents are a result of negligence on the part of a driver, we have to face that fact.

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
cslayton said:
I have ridden this rode many times. I have not read a police report, but while this is a wide road, it is a main artery between the communities of Red Bank and what we old-timers know as Hixson, and it is possible that Mr Meek had protruding panniers that caught on part of the truck. Mr Meek was behind the truck when he caught, and it is quite possible that the driver was unaware, having already passed him. Not all such accidents are a result of negligence on the part of a driver, we have to face that fact.
you're kidding right? Becasue he had panniers, it's not negligence ?becasue he had passed him perhaps? You're kidding right? That would absolutely be negligence on the part of the driver.

b21

·
SpokeMagnet
18 Posts
I was not there and you were not there. Some accidents are just bad luck, some are driver's faults and some are cyclists faults. Since I drive a car and also bicycle commute, I am not condemning anyone for something that I did not witness. I

·
Registered
1,929 Posts
cslayton said:
I was not there and you were not there. Some accidents are just bad luck, some are driver's faults and some are cyclists faults. Since I drive a car and also bicycle commute, I am not condemning anyone for something that I did not witness. I
That s fine, but your original comment was totally wrong, the fact that the cyclist might have had panniers or that the cab of the truck may have been passed when the bumper caught in no way by itself would remove negligence. We weren't there, and we don't know what happened, but if the cyclist was as far to the right as practicable, it really doesn't matter about panniers or anything, whether the police apply the law or not.

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Only one way out

cslayton said:
The only way this is not the driver's fault is if the cyclist swerved in front of the truck. Full stop.

·
go up
648 Posts
Here's an update on the investigation

Chattanooga Police will present the facts to a grand jury involving the traffic fatality last Friday in the 1000 block of Ashland Terrace involving a bicycle and a panel truck.

Cyclist David L. Meek of Red Bank was traveling south on Ashland Terrace in the right hand lane. Police said a 2007 International delivery truck was traveling the same direction. As the truck passed by the cyclist, the saddle bag on the back of the bicycle
caught the sideboard of the truck causing the fatal accident.

Mr. Meek was transported to Erlanger Hospital, where he later died of as a result of the injuries he sustained in the accident.

Chattanooga Police traffic investigators will present the case to the grand jury during the week of March 23.

Police said, "Traffic investigators will present facts that have been gathered during investigation including witness statements and other findings to determine if charges will be placed against the driver of the panel truck.

"As soon as this case is presented and a determination is made by the grand jury, those findings will be released."

·
SpokeMagnet
18 Posts
I do not live in a world where all cyclists are blameless and always in the right place, and all drivers are blind and heartless killers, I live in the real world. I am not interested in turning this issue about the death of a good man into a blamefest, sometimes things happen that nobody wants.
I would hope that Tennesseans who ride in Kentucky, where I spend a lot of time riding, will realize that in most states, no truck (especially one with horse trailers, frequently driven by an uninsured alien) is going to change its line for you. While not pertinent to Mr Meek's case, anyone who thinks that all drivers are aware of the law, understand how to obey the law and therefore can always do what that law requires, is living in a dream world. Again, that does not apply to Mr Meek, a very experienced touring cyclist.
Sharing roads with motor vehicles is inherently dangerous,even with bike lanes and signage. I will not respond to any further responses to this, because I stand by my original statement: since I was not there and YOU were not there, I am not going to assign blame. I consider Ashland Terrace a dangerous road to ride on, and I am sorry that Mr Meeks lost his life, and that his family, friends, and fellow riders, lost him.

·
SpokeMagnet
18 Posts
How do you know the cyclist was in front of the driver's line of view? Why would you comment on fault unless you were an eyewitness, or have read a report of a credible eyewitness?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts