Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· naranjito
785 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a set of michelin pro 3 tyres a few weeks ago but have just got round to mounting them. They were a take off set from a new bike, the ones with the grey central band. After mounting the first one, I thought the tyre wasn't centered on the rim properly, but after closer inspection, i found that the central grey coloured band isn't centered properly in the tyre. it's 1.5mm over to one side. I've measured the width of the band on either side of the central molding line, and also to the sidewalls, in several places around the tyre, and it's definitely not central. I then measured the second tyre before mounting it and found the same thing.
Has anyone else found this with mich pro 3s? Does anyone have any info on this? Is it only on the early tyres, or do all of them have this problem? I'm not too concerned, and usually buy all black tyres where I assume it's much harder to see if the band is off-centre, but it is a bummer to have the band noticeably off centre. I never had this with pro 2s.

foz

· Registered
65 Posts
Yep mine are a little off center too. 400+ miles with no problems thus far.

BTW, anybody have any idea why they made 'em with that fugly gray strip rather than solid black?

· Registered
177 Posts
2 different colored compound

The reason that MICHELIN makes the tires have 2 different colored areas is so that we can see that they are in fact co-extruded silica. If we would make everything the same color, some customers would find it hard to believe that there is in fact 2 different compounds. We did the same thing with the MICHELIN Pro2 Race tires as well.

As for the tires that the pros are using "over here" (I am assuming that means in Europe somewhere), they might be the Ivory colored tires. Currently we have a couple colors available in the US and other coming very shortly and ivory is one of those colors.

· Registered
177 Posts
foz said:
I bought a set of michelin pro 3 tyres a few weeks ago but have just got round to mounting them. They were a take off set from a new bike, the ones with the grey central band. After mounting the first one, I thought the tyre wasn't centered on the rim properly, but after closer inspection, i found that the central grey coloured band isn't centered properly in the tyre. it's 1.5mm over to one side. I've measured the width of the band on either side of the central molding line, and also to the sidewalls, in several places around the tyre, and it's definitely not central. I then measured the second tyre before mounting it and found the same thing.
Has anyone else found this with mich pro 3s? Does anyone have any info on this? Is it only on the early tyres, or do all of them have this problem? I'm not too concerned, and usually buy all black tyres where I assume it's much harder to see if the band is off-centre, but it is a bummer to have the band noticeably off centre. I never had this with pro 2s.

foz
As I posted in the other post, I haven't seen that at all. In terms of how the tire will perform, I don't think there will be any adverse affect on the tire. I think it would only be noticeable to the people you mention it to. I will have to check mine out tonight, but after rolling on them for a while, I haven't noticed anything on them.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.