Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Still On Steel
2,396 Posts
Faster than you ...? Definitely faster than me.

Watching one of the TdF mountain stages a couple-few years back, I concluded/calculated that they were averaging somewhere around 15mph on grades in that range. I don't remember exactly how I arrived at that conclusion. I do remember being impressed.

·
Registered
1,393 Posts
Two weeks ago I drove lead car for a womems 1/2 race. On a +/- 2 mile climb of 5-6%, I had to go 20+ to stay in front of the surges. (P.S. during the climb these gals were caught and passed by the 1/2 men.)

·
What Would Google Do.
1,578 Posts
about 18mph at a high tempo forcing the pace. as a comparison in the TT on alpe dhuez the leaders on GC were doing 14mph+ on an 8% grade for 40min

·
What Would Google Do.
1,578 Posts
they go up faster than some riders are capable of coming down!

·
Registered
19,427 Posts
I think I've heard between 18-20+ with attacks and surges on "typical" pyrennes and alps stages (6-8%)...averaging 15-18mph probably..something like that...I can hold that pace for around 200 yards when I'm in shape....they do it for mile after mile...

·
Master debator.
8,846 Posts
Goodness over a 1 mile 8% average grade hill I can only hold 10 mph. Of course I'm fat and slow and work at a job 9 hours a day. I wonder how much epo would help an average joe like me?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.