1 - 20 of 254 Posts

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Rumors in Spain and apparently Italy is that Landa is headed to Movistar. Movistar has 2 riders retiring at the end of the season plus another 5 riders out of contract at the end of the season.
Rumors on those riders is that Castroviejo is headed to Sky and Gorka Izagirre is headed to Barhain to join his brother there.
Reports out of Colombia is the young Colombian prospect has signed with Sky.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Rumors in Spain and apparently Italy is that Landa is headed to Movistar. Movistar has 2 riders retiring at the end of the season plus another 5 riders out of contract at the end of the season.
Rumors on those riders is that Castroviejo is headed to Sky and Gorka Izagirre is headed to Barhain to join his brother there.
Reports out of Colombia is the young Colombian prospect has signed with Sky.
It definitely looked that way today as he left his Captain and the yellow jersey in his dust.

Shades of Wiggins controversy as Landa rides away from Froome at Peyragudes | Cyclingnews.com

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Rumors have Contador resigning with Trek for a last shot at the Giro. They will reportedly pass on Aru as a result. I think that's a bit shortsighted, but they also overpaid for a seriously injured Degenkolb, so I can't say I am surprised. Hopefully Contador and Dege have better years next year, but I am not holding my breath. Their team has some really nice young guys though (especially Jasper Stuyven). We'll see where they end up.

It will also be interesting to see what QS does with Kittell now that Gaviria has come into his own. Can a Classics oriented team that is trying to develop support for Dan Martin and Alaphillipe in the Ardennes and Grand Tours afford to have two of the world's best bunch sprinters??? It's funny that their sprinters have dominated both the Giro and the TdF thus far this year.

Poor BMC, what they do? They have been keeping everyone on short contracts until they get their financial backing issues worked out. I feel like they still need another GC support guy or they have to start running Dennis and TVG in the same races as Porte if they want to beat Sky and the others.

Kristoff is supposed to be heading somewhere new. It certainly doesn't look like he is happy or trying to impress Katusha. I wonder who will snatch him up? Everyone has been linked to UAE and Astana, but we'll see. It should be interesting to see how it all plays out in the end.

·
Registered
675 Posts
The Landa move to Movistar has been suggested for a while and it's no secret that Landa wanted to do the Vuelta as a leader rather than be a domestique on the TdF. I think Sky should have let him ride his home race, although I'm sure they are very thankful to have him at the TdF. I'm not sure that Landa, who I really rate, is a good match with the Sky machine; he is too much of an individual with a history of ignoring team orders (especially at Astana) for that.

..... and Sky are keen to sign a French rider. I wonder who that could be.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Yeah, Spaniards are partial to their home grand tour. Landa's biggest issue in the past with going to Movistar was they already have 2 GT GC riders and well they still do. Valverde will be back next year, and then Quintana, however after what is going on at the Tour right now with Quintana and Movistar it may be interesting. My guess is when Valverde is back he gets whatever he wants and then you have the question of who gets what after that, esp with two young GC riders in Fernandez and Soler who showing signs of promise.
I agree Sky should have let Landa go to the Vuelta instead of forcing him to go to the Tour. Hmmmm.....could be another reason he's looking again at going to Movistar. Movistar is well known for giving riders a bit of say in their schedules.

·
Crank Addict
1,943 Posts
Yeah, Spaniards are partial to their home grand tour. Landa's biggest issue in the past with going to Movistar was they already have 2 GT GC riders and well they still do. Valverde will be back next year, and then Quintana, however after what is going on at the Tour right now with Quintana and Movistar it may be interesting. My guess is when Valverde is back he gets whatever he wants and then you have the question of who gets what after that, esp with two young GC riders in Fernandez and Soler who showing signs of promise.
I agree Sky should have let Landa go to the Vuelta instead of forcing him to go to the Tour. Hmmmm.....could be another reason he's looking again at going to Movistar. Movistar is well known for giving riders a bit of say in their schedules.
I don't think Valverde is coming back...

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Another rumor is Nieve to Orica.
I heard that one. It could make sense. I read Trentin is headed there as well with Gerrans and Cort on their way out. Could be interesting.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
That one I can actually understand.

Oh and of course there is the rumor that Quintana (although under contract through 2019) is leaving Movistar. Apparently the report on Colombian TV is he is not happy Movistar had little interest in a young Colombian rider he is likes and he's not happy about Landa possibly going there.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
That one I can actually understand.

Oh and of course there is the rumor that Quintana (although under contract through 2019) is leaving Movistar. Apparently the report on Colombian TV is he is not happy Movistar had little interest in a young Colombian rider he is likes and he's not happy about Landa possibly going there.
I heard that one as well. Quintana's team and Sky have come out and said that the rumors aren't true. I don't see him going anywhere and certainly not to Sky. My guess is he will ride out the remainder of his contract until 2019 and then hit the market if he still isn't happy. I could see a team like Trek pursuing him aggressively if he is out there. Contador will likely be retired or not that valuable as a racer by then. UAE & Bahrain will be aggressive as well I'm sure.

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
I would not be surprised if he leaves after his current contract is up, esp if he's not happy. I agree that I don't see him being a fit at Sky. Trek would be more interesting. I could also see Astana in the market as well. By 2019 I can also see him as expendable by Movistar. Soler should be ready to be one of the team's leaders and Fernandez is already starting to take on that role in some races. He's already confirmed he will be the leader for San Sebastian and Burgos. Although not confirmed rumors are he also gets to lead the team at the Vuelta.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I would not be surprised if he leaves after his current contract is up, esp if he's not happy. I agree that I don't see him being a fit at Sky. Trek would be more interesting. I could also see Astana in the market as well. By 2019 I can also see him as expendable by Movistar. Soler should be ready to be one of the team's leaders and Fernandez is already starting to take on that role in some races. He's already confirmed he will be the leader for San Sebastian and Burgos. Although not confirmed rumors are he also gets to lead the team at the Vuelta.
I forgot about Astana. They always seem to be looking and if they lose Aru, they may aggressively pursue him now even. This whole thing could get crazy. The situation is similar with Kittel. Lots of teams will be interested and it's unlikely that QS will be able to afford him and Gaviria, so someone will have to go. QS reportedly already has their eye on Coquard and he has been dreaming of riding for them for years... Stay tuned....

·
Registered
2,435 Posts
Agreed, and Astana would pay for a contract buy out.
QS has an interesting question as to who do you keep. I think there is more potential and upside with Gaviria, but Kittel is a known "commodity".
Transfer season is going to get crazy if it hasn't already.
Also at Movistar they have 1 rider who just announced his retirement (Malori) and another who has said he is retiring at the end of this year when he signed this currently contract (Moreno). They also have another 5 to 8 riders out of contract at the end of this season. Two of which are most likely leaving. G Izagirre to join his brother at Barhain and Castroviejo to Sky. The others out of contract are Betancur, Annacona, Dowsett, and a couple others one of whom I think is Nairo's brother. The team doesn't seem particularly interested in resigning most if any of them. Of all of them Betancur is the most likely to get a new contract, esp after he has finally figured out weight plays a big difference in how well you can ride. LOL

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Agreed, and Astana would pay for a contract buy out.
QS has an interesting question as to who do you keep. I think there is more potential and upside with Gaviria, but Kittel is a known "commodity".
Transfer season is going to get crazy if it hasn't already.
Also at Movistar they have 1 rider who just announced his retirement (Malori) and another who has said he is retiring at the end of this year when he signed this currently contract (Moreno). They also have another 5 to 8 riders out of contract at the end of this season. Two of which are most likely leaving. G Izagirre to join his brother at Barhain and Castroviejo to Sky. The others out of contract are Betancur, Annacona, Dowsett, and a couple others one of whom I think is Nairo's brother. The team doesn't seem particularly interested in resigning most if any of them. Of all of them Betancur is the most likely to get a new contract, esp after he has finally figured out weight plays a big difference in how well you can ride. LOL
Yeah, it sounds like they are in the same boat as QS and BMC with lots of riders out of contract. It should definitely get interesting soon. I really liked Betancur back when he was flying. Hopefully he gets back to that. He looked good in the Hammer Series and in support of his team leaders lately.

Oh and I personally like Gaviria more, but I have to admit, Kittel wins a lot.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 254 Posts