Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
9,419 Posts
Jens Voigt!

He's a diesel, like me. There's nothing I like more than stretching out my little riding group by wicking up the speed and holding it there. All the time hearing Phil Liggett in my head saying, "And Jens Voigt has broken the back of the peloton! The pack has split under the tempo of the big CSC man!"

Power on the flats, can get over the hills, if not exactly rocket over them. Takes ridiculously long pulls when they're reeling in the breakaways. Will turn himself inside-out for his team leader, or will do solo breaks that scare the peloton. Does a good time trial, excels in team time trials. Good in the Classics, invaluable in stage races. Manages to win a few stages or races each year.

I'd love to be able to do all that at the level he does.

Plus, I'm a ridiculous CSC fanboy--they've got a really awesome team this year, though their early season was not what I thought it should have been. Too many injuries.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Good call

I also admire the big guy; he is the epitome of a professional bike racer. I would have gone for Franco Ballerini because of his awesome power and his suppleness. On his day he was untouchable. I also liked Charly Mottet a lot when he was racing - a real classy bike rider.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
I was gonna say Voigt, too.

Basso would be a little too easy... and I'm young enough that I never saw any of the old-school greats, so I can't say whether a Coppi or a Poulidor or whoever would be cool.

Howabout Paolo Salvodelli? Presuming you mean we get all of that rider's skills, too, It would be pretty awesome to be able to climb with (if not beat) the best of them, and then beat them all to the bottom.

·
Premium Member
10,106 Posts
Erik Zabel

gizzard said:
If you had the chance to be a professional cyclist for a day, who would you be and why?
Zabel is the consummate professional. He rides throughout the year, projects a positive image for himself and his team and he seems to enjoy what he is doing. It also is interesting to see how he is dealing with his age and declining ability -- he isn't quitting yet but he also seems to have a good grip on reality as seen by his willingness to work with and for Alessandro Petacchi.

Now, if you were to pick a particular day, such as Sunday, July 23, 2006, I would want to be the guy wearing the yellow jersey.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Salvodelli

Yes Argentius, in our fantasy world you'd presumably have all the skills of the rider you're going to be for a day. I would have Ballerini's power of a short, sharp climb and you’d be able to drop the following cars and motor bikes on just about every descent. You'd also have quite a pretty sharp racing brain as well, which Salvodelli showed in the giro last year.

·
9,419 Posts
rufus said:
alejandro valverde or danilo diluca.

voight is a good call. also Michael Boogard. and Bobby Julich is a sentimental favorite
I like Bobby a lot, and George Hincapie too--I really admire their talent. For some reason, though, Jens is the one I like to watch.

·
9,419 Posts
MarkS said:
Zabel is the consummate professional. He rides throughout the year, projects a positive image for himself and his team and he seems to enjoy what he is doing. It also is interesting to see how he is dealing with his age and declining ability -- he isn't quitting yet but he also seems to have a good grip on reality as seen by his willingness to work with and for Alessandro Petacchi.

Now, if you were to pick a particular day, such as Sunday, July 23, 2006, I would want to be the guy wearing the yellow jersey.
It's definitely been interesting to see how Zabel is coping with "losing a step." It's sort of funny that Phil and Paul seem oblivious to his declining sprint capability, and routinely pick him out as a likely sprint winner, even with the likes of Petacchi or Boonen in the house.

·
9,419 Posts
gizzard said:
Yes Argentius, in our fantasy world you'd presumably have all the skills of the rider you're going to be for a day. I would have Ballerini's power of a short, sharp climb and you’d be able to drop the following cars and motor bikes on just about every descent. You'd also have quite a pretty sharp racing brain as well, which Salvodelli showed in the giro last year.
My wife's a big Savoldelli fan. He seems to be able to do it all, and in contrast to pretty much all cycling press or TV, she actually appreciates that he seems to be all business--he's not flashy or showy. The cycling media seem to take this as a reason to deny him the love.

When he's mentioned, it's usually as in, "Oh, and Discovery also has Paolo Savoldelli." This time of year, they might mention under their breath that he's won the Giro twice, but not without suggesting that Tommy Danielson is a team leader and therefore a possible race favorite, which I don't get at all.

You don't win the Giro twice (especially with the substandard team Disco sent him to Italy with last year) without being one of the best riders out there, and I don't think there's a single team on the Pro Tour (except T-Mobile--their management sucks) that would take a proven multi-time winner of a major tour and put him in that race as co-leader or second fiddle to a talented but mostly unproven rider like Danielson.

Is that just the American coverage talking out their butts to try to keep the interest of American audiences by constantly pushing Danielson instead of an Italian?

At least he's got a world-class set of riders with him at the Giro this year.

Sorry about the rant.

·
n00bsauce
13,627 Posts
Boonen for me too. A gritty classics rider who can sprint with the best. I admire the riders who can take on the spring conditions and courses and beat the best. Not only are many of the courses brutal but they're long too. Doesn't hurt that he looks like a Greek god and the chicks drop like flys when he glances their way.

I greatly admire the stage racers but they look a little emaciated for my taste, even though my build is very similar to theirs. Probably another reason I pick Boonen.

·
Registered
121 Posts
"Il Pirata"

For just one day, I would pick Marco Pantani circa 1998. Yeah, he was believed to have been hopped up on EPO and who knows what else, but he had a little natural ability too.

To be able to climb like that guy for just one day would be fantastic. And as long as I get to return to my drug free, poor climbing self at the end of the day, bring it all on.

Dave

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.