Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Happy for the winners. Todays USA races both had fun finishes. Nice to see Warbasse get one. He's had a great couple of weeks, securing his first pro stage win, a top 5 in the Nats TT, and the stars and stripes on the road. Neben, Mullen, and Cummings killed it though, winning both the road and TT national championships for their respective countries. It's also kind of fun that Naesen (a Classics racer) will be wearing the Belgian national champ's jersey. Fabio Aru will be wearing the Italian jersey for the first time.

·
Registered
1,702 Posts
Neilson Powless solidified his place as the next American "big thing", IMO. Podium placings in both TT and RR at not quite 21 years of age. Pretty impressive.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts
This was in my hometown. Pedaled to the top of the penultimate climb before the start of the race and watched them come up for 3 laps. (Actually, I got off and walked some but I was portaging a lot of beer. I swear I had a 50 lb bike.). Then went to the bottom of the descent and watched them scream by for two laps. Watching the team cars careen by was as much fun as watching the bikes. Watched some more laps of them descending and climbing at different points, and made our way back to the finish in time for the last lap. They did 14 laps. A spectacular day.

And a shoutout to our local boy Stephen Bassett who got top 20 in both the ITT and RR!

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
This was in my hometown. Pedaled to the top of the penultimate climb before the start of the race and watched them come up for 3 laps. (Actually, I got off and walked some but I was portaging a lot of beer. I swear I had a 50 lb bike.). Then went to the bottom of the descent and watched them scream by for two laps. Watching the team cars careen by was as much fun as watching the bikes. Watched some more laps of them descending and climbing at different points, and made our way back to the finish in time for the last lap. They did 14 laps. A spectacular day.

And a shoutout to our local boy Stephen Bassett who got top 20 in both the ITT and RR!
Very, very cool!

·
Crank Addict
1,943 Posts
Watched the races, both, a few times.. some great races. I still don't understand how that women's field let Neben, one of the best solo riders in the world, go away, alone.... and then they all wanted to fight and argue about who was gonna pull her back. Such smart racing on her part.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Watched the races, both, a few times.. some great races. I still don't understand how that women's field let Neben, one of the best solo riders in the world, go away, alone.... and then they all wanted to fight and argue about who was gonna pull her back. Such smart racing on her part.
The peloton in that race was definitely a little dysfunctional. I think it's the byproduct of it being a national championship race where everyone is essentially riding for themselves for the most part instead working as a team. UHC and Rally were the only squads I really saw using team tactics in either race and it just didn't work in a group that was all over the place. She's the real deal though, so once they let her go, you are right, they pretty much sealed their fate.

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
Neilson Powless solidified his place as the next American "big thing", IMO. Podium placings in both TT and RR at not quite 21 years of age. Pretty impressive.
Didn't realize he was that young, I've been hearing his name for a few years now and assumed he was older. Definitely looking forward to watching him race in Europe in the future.

·
Crank Addict
1,943 Posts
The peloton in that race was definitely a little dysfunctional. I think it's the byproduct of it being a national championship race where everyone is essentially riding for themselves for the most part instead working as a team. UHC and Rally were the only squads I really saw using team tactics in either race and it just didn't work in a group that was all over the place. She's the real deal though, so once they let her go, you are right, they pretty much sealed their fate.

For sure... Nationals is definitely a little dysfunctional in that the domestic teams have so many riders while the riders on the Euro World tour teams rarely have any team mates. Don't me wrong, I can understand why they let her go, because they were also looking at Coryn Rivera sitting in their group and they didn't want to drag her along, but to me, if they drag her along, they're still fighting for the win, if they choose not to chase Neben, they're still dragging her along, but fighting for 2nd.

·
Registered
7,197 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
For sure... Nationals is definitely a little dysfunctional in that the domestic teams have so many riders while the riders on the Euro World tour teams rarely have any team mates. Don't me wrong, I can understand why they let her go, because they were also looking at Coryn Rivera sitting in their group and they didn't want to drag her along, but to me, if they drag her along, they're still fighting for the win, if they choose not to chase Neben, they're still dragging her along, but fighting for 2nd.
Pretty much.

·
Registered
1,579 Posts

·
Registered
1,579 Posts

Thread dredge time!

I didn't realize it when I searched for this thread, but I didn't post about the 2018 race. So Knoxville has the Nats this again year and next, which will make it four years!

I'm going to do the exact same thing as the last two years, watch all but one of the laps at various points on Sherrod Hill. The only difference will be like 2018, my bike will weigh over 60 lbs. Last year I had plenty of beer and gave out a couple to racers at the top of Sherrod on the last lap. 2018 had the crits as well, and that'll be the case this coming Friday as well. Can't wait!

Any predictions for the mens and womens RR winners?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts