Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,716 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
They are not a big deal, I guess. I ride through them when they occur, but kinda takes out the fun.

I rode today, after skipping yesterday. I did a 20+ mile loop. I had hills. I also had a 10 mph headwind. When there was not a head wind it was a crosswind. Only for about 5 miles did I at least imagine I had a tailwind. It was a nice cool afternoon. One of my buddies bought lunch today, and we had wings. Not the best fuel, I suppose. At about mile 15 I got hit with a major sideache on my right side. I was not killing myself. At my ride's end my computer said a flat 17.0 mph avg.

Any hints on how to avoid the sideaches? I get them occasionally, but not on every ride. This one was not too bad, I just rode on. The worst are the doubles. Ehhh...no biggie, maybe you just deal with it, and move on.....?

·
Registered
978 Posts
I figured out that if you put your thumb between the ribs where the pain is occuring and keep very firm pressure on that area, that the pain will subside. I believe my sideaches are the intercostal muscles, which are the muscles betwix the ribs, kinda siezing up. I haven't had a sideache in ages but when I would get them, the thumb was the cure.

·
Registered
17 Posts
side stitch

I've been prone to the side cramp, on a bike, when I'm out of the saddle and move around too much. I find starting with an empty bladder and keeping pre excersion meals light helps. Do a google or bing search on "side stitch", lots of info out there. Some interesting cures including alternating breathing patterns.

·
waterproof*
41,608 Posts
I get 'em occasionally... I think you identified all the major factors - full stomach, hard effort, position / posture.

·
Administrator
12,955 Posts
No meals within 2 hours of riding for me.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts