Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a Lemond Zuruch road bike with stock Bontrager wheels and Shimano 9 speed cassette on a three ring setup.

I am tired of changing out the tire on rear wheel when I set the bike up on my winter trainer (the trainer tears up the tire so I use old tires) so wanted to grab a used rear wheel/cassette setup to use for the trainer.

With an extra rear wheel I could then just quickly swap the wheels when I am ready for the trainer-and also swap back quickly to get outside on days it was nice enough to ride here in the Midwest this winter.

My questions are:

1) Do I have to get a 9 speed cassette? Will an 8 speed or 10 speed work?
2) Do I have to get a 700cc wheel, or is 27" OK?

Thanks for your help.

·
wheelbuilder
2,220 Posts
Get a 700c with a 9 speed cassette. 27" might work, but since it's bigger in circumference, you could run into clearance issues.

If you don't stick with 9 speed, you would be able to easily change gears.

The ideal situation would be to get a cheap Shimano 9 speed cassette (105) and another Bontrager wheel (Race or similar cheap wheel). This way you don't even have to adjust the gears. Sometimes you have to do a small adjust of the rear gears when switching brands of rear wheels.

Think of the rear wheel as a backup as well. You could use it as a pit wheel in a race or a spare when something goes wrong and you have to send the rear wheel to be trued or worse.

There's no such thing and too many wheels;-)

-Eric

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good info.

This will help me not buy something that ends up being the wrong thing and wasting my money.
Now I know exactly what to look for.

Thanks guys.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts