Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Have good, get give
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When is this going to stop? I was rolling thru an intersection going about due east last night sucking down some water and at the worst possible time a massive gust hit me. I dropped the stupid bottle and had to swerve really hard just to stay upright.

It's just impossible to pedal into it and keep any kind of steady cadence.

I found out that Monday I was riding at the same time they had DFW shut down because of high winds. That can't be good.

rant over

·
25yr Houston-Austin MS150
207 Posts
As hard as it is to ride consistently in this wind, it's helping me with a break-in. I just got a brand new bike, and I get to use EVERY SINGLE GEAR on a 15-mile loop. Normally in flatland Houston, I only need three or four shifts per ride, and two of those are a stop/start!
;)

·
Registered
499 Posts
That wind is constant out here in Lubbock. I get excited when the weather report says only 15 mph winds.

Normally, I try to adjust my ride so I go into the wind on my way out and ride with the wind on the way back. Last week, the wind shifted on me and I ended up riding into it on the way back. I was in the small gear up front, big gear in the back and pedalling my ass off to keep at 11 mph. I almost called my wife to come pick me up. It was miserable.

·
BS the DC
1,422 Posts
Most of the country is snowed in and people are grinding away at on their trainers in the basement. Here in Texas we're having sun, warmth, and, yes, a little wind. Enjoy!

·
Registered
584 Posts
bsdc said:
Most of the country is snowed in and people are grinding away at on their trainers in the basement. Here in Texas we're having sun, warmth, and, yes, a little wind. Enjoy!
A little wind??
Yesterday it was too danagerous to ride. At times is was all I could due to not fall while running. 40 mph gusts in Corpus.

·
Registered
773 Posts
I just keep telling myself it builds character...

In College Station, the winds are normally 15-30 mph, especially now and in spring. The first few times I rode in it, i *****ed and moaned and complained so much that even I got tired of hearing myself.

Now, I welcome the adverse conditions. I figure, the more I can suffer through now, the less I'll suffer later. When some of my 'mates complain, I rag on em for being wimps and remind them the pros ride in conditions much worse. Sometimes it angers them and makes em ride, sometimes it doesn't.

Just yesterday, a few of my buddies went riding. We rode most of the way into a head and cross wind. It wasn't fun and made the ride a chore, but after I finished I felt like I accomplished something.

·
Registered
2,197 Posts
a week after the marathon fortunately

in north houston, wind and rain most of sunday.
i was extremely happy the weather wasn't like this a week ago for the houston marathon. it was almost perfect then.

·
Registered
590 Posts
the slogan for lubbock should be "no hills, just wind".

i used to try the pick the correct direction game when trying to factor in when i wanted to hit the head wind, but 90% of the time, you'd ride out and then back with the wind in your face.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Yep, its been nice 'n windy lately.

I went out and climbed, Bluegrass, Lakewood and Courtyard in it the other day.

Definately helps to build additional strength, not to mention mental fortitude! :)

·
Registered
50 Posts
Today was about as windy as I have seen it this year. Just brutal on the hills. Maybe the wind direction blowing straight into my face while climbing made it worse. Oh well, at least it was nice and warm.

·
Prairie Smoke
356 Posts
Builds bike handling skills

I just keep telling myself it will build my bike handling skills. :)

Funny thing is, last weekend when I was really suffering I kept going because I saw the most guys out riding on my route ever -- 4! Wow! We all must be gluttons for punishment.

·
Have good, get give
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
bump

Was going to do the Lancaster ride. As long as it sounds like my house is gonna blow over. I said forget it.

Supposedly the air quality is really poor too with dust mixed in.

Great.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Well I read the post and now I feel I must throw in my $.02...

I like the wind...I may sound like a jerk right now but it keeps the people that endanger others on the road off their bikes and on their couches! I have noticed in N. Houston a decline of riders on 2920 and The Woodlands. I thank Notus each day for wind!

·
Have good, get give
964 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wind particularly horrible this year. Can't remember so many otherwise perfect days ruined by wind.

·
25yr Houston-Austin MS150
207 Posts
culdeus said:
Wind particularly horrible this year. Can't remember so many otherwise perfect days ruined by wind.
I skipped the Space Race today, but heard tales of another one of those infamous 11 mph pacelines into the finish.

And worst of all, they said the wind came up DURING the ride, so they got none of the tailwind portion.

I'm just praying the MS 150 will be more friendly than last year.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
anybody notice this is a 3 yr old thread? Oh well, the wind hasn't stopped.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Ha thats funny, we just pick it up again every spring.

I went for a ride with a buddy heading east out of Austin, we joked that we should ride to La Grange and call someone to pick us up and kill a century in well under 4 hours. At one point I hit 41 mph on a VERY slight downhill, and I was NOT sprinting, just sitting and pedaling. The turnaround and ride home was crazy. I felt like if I quit pedaling I'd have fallen over.

·
World's 1st Anal-rapist
1,086 Posts
+1 to all of the responses.

Look at it this way, at least its consistent. (?)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts