Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
FYI: I received a shipment today from Probikekit.com. It arrived in BC 7 days after I placed the order. Canada Post charged GST and $5 processing fee. I would recommend this seller to Canadians, especially now, when there is no shipping:)

·
confirmed masher
1,712 Posts
Second that recommendation.
how much was the order? I ordered 150$ worth and im worried that they may dock me 20something dollars for Customs. anyways i can't wait for it to come, even with customs it would be a steal. do they send you a shipping confirmation?

·
Registered
259 Posts
My very first order from them ($150ish of hard parts, tires etc no clothing) slipped through and I didn't even have to pay GST. All of my other orders I've had to pay GST + $5 handling charge, although the card in the mailbox said it was a customs charge.
I'm not certain of this, but I believe you pay Customs on clothing, but not on parts.
I had one order consisting of Sidi Genius 5's and a set of Look cleats where I had to pay a Customs fee on top of the GST.
My last order included a set of cheap bibs and socks but I didn't have to pay any customs on that as it was just labelled as cycle accessories, no mention of clothing.
I've never received any shipping confirmation, just an order confirmation. My orders to Alberta boonies have been taking almost 2 weeks, but all shipping here seems to take longer than elsewhere.

·
Registered
302 Posts
You guys rock. I always wondered what handling/duties/brokering fees we canucks encurred ordering from probikekit (since their prices are so great). Gotta love the price shaft our small market gets. Off to start go shopping!

-CR

·
confirmed masher
1,712 Posts
got my package today, it was exactly 6 days since i ordered. but i got huge duties (ontario always finds the goods). 6.5% duty, + gst and pst, it was marked sports equipment and cycling accessories but it was 80GBP so i guess they had to. anyways i ended up paying 40 bucks worth. but everything seems great. still kinda a deal i guess, 1 bib, 1 shorts, a cycling shirt, 2 pairs of socks and a gerolsteiner team jersey? 200 bucks sounds about right.

·
Registered
157 Posts
OneGear said:
...i got huge duties (ontario always finds the goods). 6.5% duty, + gst and pst...
The odd time you might get lucky and stuff will sneak through (it has happened to me) but you should expect to pay GST+PST - just like anything you buy locally.

Don't know about what you bought but, even with 6.5% duty, the stuff I picked up - DuraAce pedals for CDN$140 and Michelin Prorace 2 tires for around CDN$27/each - sure seems like a deal to me.:thumbsup:

·
confirmed masher
1,712 Posts
framed said:
The odd time you might get lucky and stuff will sneak through (it has happened to me) but you should expect to pay GST+PST - just like anything you buy locally.

Don't know about what you bought but, even with 6.5% duty, the stuff I picked up - DuraAce pedals for CDN$140 and Michelin Prorace 2 tires for around CDN$27/each - sure seems like a deal to me.:thumbsup:
i've never had anything bought from an e-vendor sneak through, they just look at the sender's address and they start collecting duties. stuff off ebay however, i never get taxed on, and this is only the second time i've paid gst+pst. but you're right, its still a deal, i've saved about 50bucks (conservative calculation) not to mention tax

·
Registered
178 Posts
I order some tires and glue from Probikekit for a total cost of $225CDN. Customs is charging me $57.42. Does that not seem excessive??? I haven't gone to the post office yet so I don't have the details yet but I don't have a clue as to how they arrived at that number!!! I'm located in Alberta so there's no PST here.

·
Banned
1,844 Posts
Bianchiguy said:
So I just ordered a jesey from PBK to be sent to the USA. What might I expect from additional duty costs? I had no idea this was in the pipeline.:blush2:

shouldnt be anything to the US, under $200. I've ordered from them dozens of times over the past 6 or 7 years and I've never been charged duties or taxes.

G

·
Well, Canada Customs doesn't charge PST, they don't collect for the provinces. They do however charge for GST, they do charge a per item handling fee of $5 and depending on the item they may be charging duty.

So on a $225 order they will be carging $13.50 for GST and $5 handling fee. The rest will be duty depending on what the customs papers say the shipment is. Duty will be based on country of origin. Best to see what it is making it up. If you don't agree tell the post office you are refusing delivery because the charges are too high. You will get your package back in about a week with a new calculation attached.

I ordered 4 Conti GP4000 tires. The total order was $102.00 CDN and arrived here in 10 days. The Customs charge was $12.31 so my total order was $114.31 for 4 tires. $28.58 apiece. I can buy them locally for $90 per tire so I happen to think the deal was great and the shipment time as fast as you have right to expect. As a bonus, when I opened the package, there are not only 4 tires there are 6 tubes and a set of tire levers.

I think PBK.com did very well by me thank you very much.

·
Registered
2 Posts
ctam said:
I order some tires and glue from Probikekit for a total cost of $225CDN. Customs is charging me $57.42. Does that not seem excessive??? I haven't gone to the post office yet so I don't have the details yet but I don't have a clue as to how they arrived at that number!!! I'm located in Alberta so there's no PST here.
Yes, that does actually sound high depending on the exact facts. Bicycle tires are Tariff No. 4011.50.00 00 and have no duty provided the country of origin is a country with "Most Favoured Nation" or MFN status. Taiwan is a MFN, so no duty, and China is a General Preferential Tariff or GPT treatment which also has no duty (for bicycle tires). If the tires come from a country that does not meet either MFN or one of applicable preferential tariffs, the general duty is 35%.

Duty is based on the value in Canadian dollars. Anytime customs requires any payment, you must pay the $5 handling fee. Customs does assess both GST and PST where applicable. All taxes must be paid in order to claim the item from the post office. You are in Alberta so you will pay GST only plus the $5 handling fee. As an aside, in BC, there is no PST on bike parts. Oh yes, anything under $20 has no fees and a "gift" still attracts customs fees for values over $60 (or where the customs inspector fails to apply the applicable rules which happens frequently).

I would be reluctant to refuse the item as it may get sent back to probike. Instead, pay the fee and then submit the Customs form (see the back of it for info) with an explanation why the assessed customs value was wrong and you will get a refund (assuming that the reasoning is valid). I have done this many times for items that were assessed for the wrong value and also mis-described. What you get back will depend on the exact circumstances. If you need assistance, just send me a PM.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I went to the post office and got the details. On the customs form it described the contents as "articles of clothing made from cotten" and they dinged me with 17% duty, 6% GST and the $5 fee. The bag was not opened by customs. PBK wrote down a description of "Cycle accessories". I don't know how customs could translate "cycle accessories" into "cotten clothing"??? The lady at the post office suggested I send it back to customs for a reassessment - she said it would take around 2 weeks. My order was for 5 veloflex tires and 1 jar of tubular glue.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I received my package today from Probikekit.com (first time ordering). It arrived in 6 days after I placed the order to Alberta. Canada Post charged GST and $5 processing fee on a $230Cdn order.

Amazing deals. Ended up saving approximately $150Cdn from buying from my lbs.

Thanks Probikekit!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.