Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anybody ordered anything from probikekit?

What was your experience specifically with shipping and any extra fees?

Looking to pick up some tires and they ship free by mail.

thanks

·
Registered
197 Posts
I've ordered several times from them. Good prices and fast shipping. The only problem is you get dinged by UPS. After I factored in duty, there wasn't much savings from shopping at my LBS.

I gave up, but maybe contact them to see if they'll ship alternative methods?

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
I buy from them all the time...UPS shipping?? Huh?? They use Royal Mail which is then taken over by Canada Post when it gets into Canada...

At worst you pay a small handling fee and taxes...Still MUCH cheaper then the LBS...

Most time it will get through with no charges. Buying clothing will probably result in additional duty charges on top of the handling fee and taxes...

I buy most of my tires, chains, cassettes and Shimano parts from them...

·
Off the back
1,850 Posts
PBK often provides free shipping. Or it's only a few bucks. Good prices and slow shipping. One thing they did recently that kind of bugged me was about a 4% "exchange rate" fee. A little nickel-n-diming, but still an overall solid price.

·
Daniel007
21 Posts
I for one never ordered from PBK.......most of my web purchases are either with Ribbles or Chain Reaction......never had an issue and never paid extra either............. great service too!

Good luck!

·
Roadbike Rider
1,260 Posts
I am finding better deals lately on ribble and Evans cycle.
I have the same experience. There service is good but they are more frequently out of stock and other UK e-tailers like Ribble are usually better priced.

The one UK e-tailer I don't use is Total Cycling because they would not honour a warranty on some pedals that disintegrated

·
Registered
197 Posts
I buy from them all the time...UPS shipping?? Huh?? They use Royal Mail which is then taken over by Canada Post when it gets into Canada...
This was my experience from a few years ago, that's why I've stayed away. I guess things have changed since then. With good prices and Royal/Canada Post shipping it will be on my radar again.

thnx.

·
Registered
118 Posts
so I can buy from PBK and ship via mail and not have to worry about extra fees right?
It depends on Canada Revenue Agency after it has shipped. As others have stated, clothing usually gets dinged for tax and duty, just due to the fact of where it is made. If your total value is high enough you will most likely pay PST/GST/HST (whichever your province does). Smaller dollar value purchases will usually slide through with no import taxes. You never really know if you are going to pay anything extra until it shows up at your door or you get a parcel notice.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I ordered from them for the first time last month. My item shipped on 3/1 and I haven't received it yet (I'm in California) and there is no tracking information. Funny thing, the day after I ordered I saw with price on Amazon had dropped to the same as PBK. If this is the common shipping time I probably won't order from them again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Maybe it's a hit or miss,
Ordered 2 times from PBK
First order was CA$59.84 - No fee
Second order was CA$82.18 - Had to pay 20-25$ fees (10$ handling fees + taxes)

Here's what I found.
Importing by Mail
The item’s value in Canadian dollars

Under the provisions of the Postal Imports Remission Order, if someone mails you an item worth CAN$20 or less, you don’t have to pay duty or taxes on the item. If the item is worth more than CAN$20, you must pay the applicable duty, the GST or HST, and any PST on the item’s full value.

Items that do not qualify for the CAN$20 exemption include the following:

tobacco;
books;
periodicals;
magazines;
alcoholic beverages; and
goods ordered through a Canadian post office box or a Canadian intermediary.
Handling costs

To process goods imported as mail that are subject to duty and/or tax, Canada Post charges the recipient CAN$9.95. If the item is duty-free and tax exempt, no amount is charged.

All amounts must be paid at the time of delivery (by cash, certified cheque, VISA, MasterCard or your Canada Post commercial account).
So I guess, if your order is chosen (randomly) and if it is 20$ or above, you will get charged... 10$ + taxes.

·
Registered
342 Posts
When ordering online from Canada try and order things in separate orders to keep the value down, your less likey to get dinged with duty on small total value than one large package. also if your ordering parts like pedals and a jacket you definitely want two separate orders!

·
Energizer Bunny
81 Posts
When ordering online from Canada try and order things in separate orders to keep the value down, your less likey to get dinged with duty on small total value than one large package. also if your ordering parts like pedals and a jacket you definitely want two separate orders!
^ definately use this tip, try to separate clothing with bike parts as they're most likely have a duty for 18% for the whole order.

April 22, 2013 the order was dispatched.
Aprill 30, 2013 the arrived at my door with duty + taxes + handling fee by Canada Post.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I've ordered a few items from Chain Reaction and am amazed at how fast it arrives (4 days to Toronto), and both times there was no duty either. If you buy more than $99 worth of goods shipping is free also.

·
Registered
1,272 Posts
used to order routinely from probikekit. not anymore. delivery is slow, prices not great. customer service poor. had to return an item ( helmet didn't fit) and after six weeks I finally had to open a complaint with my cc company to forcibly get my money back. never again.

·
Registered
867 Posts
I have used PBK, Wiggle, Chain Reaction and they were all great. Stuff usually took about two weeks to arrive and I only had to pay charges twice from Canada Post, out of about ten orders. Just the tax and handling charge. Even with that it was way cheaper than buying the stuff here in Toronto.

·
Registered
5,360 Posts
Hey if you buy something in a big box - like a wheelset - did you get dinged for duty on that?

It's a large parcel and has a value $400 - $600
I've bought two Dogmas that came in the mail in big boxes. Paid zero duty, zero tax. Picked up at Shopper's Drug Mart!

Not to mention a few thousand cheaper than in North America. :D

I bought a wheelset ONCE from Ribble and they sent it FedEx after assuring me they would use Royal Mail Parcelforce. Wheelset was about $1100 and brokerage and GST were about $275. FedEx "brokerage fee" is highway robbery. Will never order from Ribble again.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.