Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey guys first post.

Just got my campa groupset (it's beautiful:blush2: ) and this is my first time building a bike. How do I loosen the "rim" enough so that if will fit through my handle bars? I have real trouble getting to the mounting bolt under the rubber cover so I'm thinking I might be doing it wrong. Do I need to take the whole rubber cover off? Pealing it back woun't give me enough room. Also if I understood correctly the tightening "rim" only has about .4mm (23.8-24.2mm)space and I doubt that enough for it to find trough the bar?

I tried using the campa instructions, but they are quite fast forward :D Same thing with park tool. There's no way I can acces it like in the pic below. That's the old shifter model.

Thanks alot!

Olli

EDIT: I ordered a long T25 tool. that should take care of it.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I had my brother's help with my new Centaur shifter install and he's done plenty of Campy. It was a very tight fit to get a wrench in there. Isn't it Torx? I don't remember, but anyway, I remember it was very difficult to get the hood pulled back far enough to even fit a wrench in there too. I put them on and don't think I'll move them - too much of a pain (versus my Shimano I'm coming from).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
jmkimmel said:
I just pulled the whole hood off to access the screw - no problem then.
which way do you pull the hood of? didn't see any mention in the instructions. was it hard to get back in place?

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
yeah just pull off the hood from back to front. Dowse the inside of the hood with alcohol when putting back on, helps a lot. It is NOT a hex bolt. Use a Torx 25 driver.

·
Registered
813 Posts
I can access my 2009 Centaur bolt easily with a Torx-25 key. Just the normal L-shaped key works fine for me. You could try a t-wrench too, i suppose.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Its easier to access the bolt from the front (just above the writing on top of levers) - you don't need to pull the hood all the way off, just enough to push the Allen key in (08 model was allen key, not sure about 09 but imagine its same).

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
09 is torx bolt. They changed it. I just ordered a long torx tool. I still haven't got my frame, so I'm not in a hurry. Thanks for all the help guys!

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
2009 or earlier?

jmkimmel said:
I just pulled the whole hood off to access the screw - no problem then.
I've had pleny of early model hoods on and off, but the 2009 is quite different. That large knob on top would require a huge stretch on the hood, compare to the old ones. I'm afraid that the hood would rip.

For those with no 2009 expereince, a T25 torx screwdriver can be inserted from the fron, by slightly lifting the edge of the hood. I also roll the back edge forward, just enough to get a glimpse of the clamp nut, to guide the driver tip. It's not hard at all and does not require removal of the hood.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
C-40 said:
I've had pleny of early model hoods on and off, but the 2009 is quite different. That large knob on top would require a huge stretch on the hood, compare to the old ones. I'm afraid that the hood would rip.

For those with no 2009 expereince, a T25 torx screwdriver can be inserted from the fron, by slightly lifting the edge of the hood. I also roll the back edge forward, just enough to get a glimpse of the clamp nut, to guide the driver tip. It's not hard at all and does not require removal of the hood.
good instructions thank you. campas .pdf could do a better job imo.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts