Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I bought a used set of Reynolds DV 66 clinchers and was checking the truing on the rear when I discovered that one of the DS spokes has a significant twist in it near the rim that appears to have been caused by someone not using a spoke holder when truing. Spoke is OK and holds tension, but I don't think I will ride the wheels until I can replace it. Reynolds uses DT Areolites on these wheels and posts a list of all the necessary spoke lengths so I know what I need to buy. Problem is finding a source for only buying 4-5 of these spokes in relatively short lengths, i.e. 240, 244, and 256. Alchemy has black Sapim CXrays in those lengths so my question is: Is there a downside to mixing a single CXray in with the Aerolites?

·
Registered
14,713 Posts
I don't think I will ride the wheels until I can replace it
I think you're being excessively cautious. I'd lube the nipple, get rid of the twist, and make sure the wheel is true. Then just ride it. It doesn't seem likely that the twist has weakened the spoke significantly.

I don't think there's any big issue with mixing brands, but I haven't used wheels with low count bladed spokes much, so others may know better.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
rruff: Thanks for the input. I'll follow up with Alchemy.

JCavila: I didn't try and explain the exact nature of the "twist" in my initial post. It's not just minor spoke wind up from truing. Imagine taking a flat piece of metal and twisting both ends so that the ends end up 180 degrees opposed to each other when you finish twisting, like a spiral in flat pasta.....that's what I found last night. I was really surprised that the spoke had not broken, but guess it shows you how strong these flat bladed spokes really are.

·
Diesel Engine
898 Posts
I would still loosen the twisted spoke - you have nothing to lose at this point and you may be surprised if it untwists when tension is released. Steel is quite elastic and if the spoke has not taken a permanent set I would not hesitate to retension it properly and use the wheel.

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Tried that, it won't loosen the twist. This twist is a full 180 within about 1/8" of the length of the spoke, its not coming out. Looks like it would if you gripped the spoke with two pairs of pliers close to each other and twisted in opposite directions. Probably OK to ride, I put about 200 miles on them before deciding on retruing because the front was out of true more than I like. I'll just order the CXrays, replace it, and ride with peace of mind.

·
Registered
1,320 Posts
i think you will struggle to get aerolites in those lengths, just go the cxrays

wheelbuilder.com are very good for weird length spokes (they dont have the dt ones in all the lengths you want though)

·
Registered
3,254 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Agreed on the DTs, Alchemy has the CXrays in exactly the lengths I need. I'm giving them a call tomorrow.

·
Wheel Builder
133 Posts
If the 180 degree twist occurs in a very short length, say 1" or less, that's not coming out. It may or may not present a structural issue, though. If you hold the bladed tool for CX/CX-Ray spokes too far down while you tighten a fully tensioned spoke/wheel, you might permanently twist the spoke as I've understood your description.

If the "twist" occured over the entire length of the spoke, definitely just true the wheel and align the spoke.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts