Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I wore out my Ultegra 6600 triple shifters and installed 105 5803 shifters, brakes and front derailleur. The Ultegra rear shifted three cogs at once. The 105 shifter only shifts two. I’m referring to shifting to the larger cogs. Is this correct or should it shift three? It appears to try to go to the third cog) but then drops down to the smaller cog. The shifter is shifting to the third cog but then retracts the cable. When shifting to one or two gears, the shifter works perfectly.

·
Registered
8,224 Posts
I am surprised you are getting the shifters to work well at all. The 5803 is made for 11 speed. If you had an 11 speed cassette the cogs are closer together so sweeping to change 3 gears would work. Since 10 speeds are a bit further apart your 11 speed shifter cannot quite make the throw.

Oops, my mistake, the 5803 post I was reading was "where is the 5803 triple?"...it does not exist.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,440 Posts
Are you sure your new shifters aren't 5703? I don't think 5803's exist. Others correct me if I am wrong, but I believe the 5800 and 6800 series shifters are all doubles and 11 speed and don't come in a **03 version.

That said, my previous shifters were 5700 (left-double, right-10 speed) and you really had to push the right shifter hard all the way to get the 3rd downshift. Otherwise, it would do what you describe.

I now have the 6800s. The throw is noticeably shorter than on the 5700s and downshifting 3 at a time is no problem.

·
'brifter' is f'ing stupid
15,564 Posts
Lombard is correct, no such thing as 5803. If you had 6600 and replaced it with 5703 it wouldn't work either. You also need the 10 speed cassette and chain. The rear derailleur will work fine.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
My mistake on the number. They are 5703 shifters. And the Ultegra shifters were actually the 6603 shifters but I'm not having any front shifting problems so that should not matter. I'm thinking more that the right shifter is faulty. It is as if it refuses to catch and stay on the on the final cog when trying to shift three cogs. Shifts perfectly when shifting only one cog at a time or two.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Lombard is correct, no such thing as 5803. If you had 6600 and replaced it with 5703 it wouldn't work either. You also need the 10 speed cassette and chain. The rear derailleur will work fine.

I don't understand this statement because the 6600 is a ten speed series. It has a 10 speed cassette and chain.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the info. I could not find any information on the Shimano site about how many it can downshift. I suppose the best thing for me to do is just do one cog at a time. It can do two but I sometimes push it too far and it jumps around. I guess I should have stayed with Ultegra but the Ultegra 6703 shifters have had some reliability issues. I much prefer Campagnolo and I should consider switching over.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Thanks for the info. I could not find any information on the Shimano site about how many it can downshift. I suppose the best thing for me to do is just do one cog at a time. It can do two but I sometimes push it too far and it jumps around. I guess I should have stayed with Ultegra but the Ultegra 6703 shifters have had some reliability issues. I much prefer Campagnolo and I should consider switching over.
Ultegra wouldn't have made a difference. All that generation (the first to put the cable under the bar tape and the last 10 speed) could only downshift shift 2.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So, Ultegra now only shifts 2 also. I prefer to have the capability to shift three like Campy.
I wonder why Shimano designed the shifter to allow it to ride up on the third cog when pushing the lever all the way to the left. Very sloppy.

·
Banned Sock Puppet
14,440 Posts
So, Ultegra now only shifts 2 also. I prefer to have the capability to shift three like Campy.
I wonder why Shimano designed the shifter to allow it to ride up on the third cog when pushing the lever all the way to the left. Very sloppy.
Apparently a design defect on the 5700 and 6700 right shifters. My 5700 did the same thing. As I said before, if you really make an effort to push it all the way until you feel it stop, you can make it shift 3. It is awkward for sure, but possible. This problem was corrected with the 5800 and 6800 - smooth as silk. Of course, since the 5800/6800 are 11-speed, that doesn't help you unless you want to change to 11-speed.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts