Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a newbie, and this is probably a simple question, but I have a new Trek Domane 2. It is the 2020 model. I from what I can tell from the Trek web site it has a Shimano Claris R2000, 8 speed shifter, and based on the back tire there are 8 gears there so I think that is correct. In the winter want to be able to ride the bike on my wahoo kicker. When I went to the bike store the only cassette they had was the Shimano CS5700 11-25T which is a has 10 gears. I've adjusted the tension on the derailleur, but that doesn't seem to do anything. The 4 big gears and the small one seem to work, but not the other ones. What do I need to do to fix this?

·
Registered
18,624 Posts
I have a new Trek Domane 2. It is the 2020 model. I from what I can tell from the Trek web site it has a Shimano Claris R2000, 8 speed shifter, and based on the back tire there are 8 gears
When I went to the bike store the only cassette they had was the Shimano CS5700 11-25T which is a has 10 gears.
What do I need to do to fix this?
You need to get a cassette with 8 gears. There is no other option.

Did you tell the bike shop that your bike was 8 speed? If so they never should have sold you a 10 speed cassette.

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
I find it hard to believe a 2020 Domane has a 8 spd cassette. Check that again, did you buy the bike new or used, maybe someone switched the parts around.
Order one on amazon or have your bike store order one for you.

·
Registered
18,624 Posts
I find it hard to believe a 2020 Domane has a 8 spd cassette. Check that again, did you buy the bike new or used, maybe someone switched the parts around.
All you have to do is look at the Trek website. Pretty easy to believe. (even the 2021 model)

Front derailleur Shimano Claris R2000, 31.8mm clamp
Rear derailleur Shimano Claris R2000, long cage, 34T max cog
Cassette Shimano HG31, 11-32, 8 speed

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I think the would be the one: bike.shimano.com/en-EU/product/component/claris-r2000/CS-HG50-8.html

I looked on competitivecyclist.com and didn't find one and amazon.com lists: SHIMANO HG50 8 Speed Mountain Bike Cassette (Nickel - 11-34) which doesn't sound like the right one.

It is on the Shimano web site, but were can I find a place to buy it online?

·
Registered
4,608 Posts
A mountain cassette, as long as it's the same quantity of speeds will fit.
Since he didn't really post exactly the bike he had, I did look them online, the ones I seen were not 8 spd. One can get them with all levels of components, including 11 spd.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Just curious, why does the Wahoo kicker not work with your old casette? Is the kicker thing not compatible with 8-speed, or do the kicker people specify a maximum or minimum number of teeth?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Just curious, why does the Wahoo kicker not work with your old casette? Is the kicker thing not compatible with 8-speed, or do the kicker people specify a maximum or minimum number of teeth?
I will assume that he goes back and forth between indoor and outdoor riding and does not want to swap the cassette every time.
Also, any Shimano compatible cassette will work, like this one

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Well, he says he wants to be able to ride his 8-speed bike on the kicker in the winter. So why can't he just put his 8-speed bike on the kicker? In other words, why would he have to buy another cassette? Old man here, still riding rollers in the winter....

·
Registered
816 Posts
Well, he says he wants to be able to ride his 8-speed bike on the kicker in the winter. So why can't he just put his 8-speed bike on the kicker? In other words, why would he have to buy another cassette? Old man here, still riding rollers in the winter....
I know a lot of folks who ride ONE bike on the road and indoors. If you only had one cassette, you'd have to swap it back and forth every time.

·
Registered
18,624 Posts
Because he doesn't want to swap his cassette. Pretty much everyone with a direct drive trainer does this. Maybe he's leaving the bike on for the winter. But maybe in the summer on a rainy day he'll want to throw the bike on the trainer. Or maybe a winter day is really warm and he want's to go out for a ride.

·
Registered
11,474 Posts
Thanks all, got it. I had no idea that the Wahoo trainer is driven through its own cassette, hence my complete and utter confusion. Should have googled the thing before asking.

·
Russian Troll Farmer
3,072 Posts
FWIW, since the thing is static you don't need a lightweight cassette. Any cheap, heavy hybrid 8-sp of the correct teeth should be fine....

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thank you everyone!! I was able to find an 8-sp cassette and it works well... can shift thought everything. It will go over on the biggest gear which I need to adjust the stop screw and makes a little noise on the smallest one, but way better than it was before. Thank you for all of the help.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts