Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After 20 years of cycling I finally got a heart rate monitor. It's a polar f4.
The problem is that at times it registers abnormal readings- 211, 232 etc... Then at other times it seems to register correctly. There are no power lines or other riders. I do have a Cateye Astrale 8 computer on my bike. Is this normal? Is this just the way it is with heart rate monitors? Just wondering what to put up with or if it is worth the frustration.
Thanks for your help and experience.

·
Registered
8 Posts
1st check battery - even if the unit is new - it might have a old battery??

then, check how wet the strap is at the time, i always wet mine, it dont work too well dry on dry skin.

Perhaps there are underground power lines around the intersections?

The wireless function on the cat could/maybe causing interferience? I have a top end 2.4ghz strap that does not get affected by anything - other than Low battery.

·
Premium Member
3,495 Posts
I have the same problem with the HRM strap with my Garmin 305. I finally narrowed it down to wearing (slightly) loose fitting jerseys. When the material flaps around due to speed or wind it registers as false pulses to the HRM, and inflates the figure. I think that it might be static discharge from the jersey to the strap.

It appears to be worse when the strap is on the dry side, even though I wet it before the ride. I can eliminate it completely by wrapping an ace bandage around the strap or wearing a tight-fitting polypro undershirt. Usually I just ignore the pnenomena, though it does screw up my logs. Most important for me is accurate measurements on climbs and there the speed is less and the skin is much damper, and I don't see any problems at all.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Your HRM is just picking up brain waves. You can alieviate this problem by wearing aluminum foil under your helmet....(works for me)

·
Yo no fui.
8,486 Posts
If this were an episode of House, you'd suddenly have an onset of jaundis and vomitting, but it wouldn't be Lupis.

ANnway, my hearrate monitor soften showed erratic readings, especially if the sensors were not wet.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
Two things to do:

1) Use Buh Bump Electrode Cream on your chest strap.

2) Make sure your strap isn't slipping and getting looser. I've resorted to putting a safety pin in mine to make sure it stays exactly where I want it. As the strap stretches, I readjust it, but that isn't very often.

·
Registered
32,386 Posts
Try another jersey - static from some materials can be a problem --- or

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Yup

abqhudson said:
It's picking up interference - nothing you can do. Some of the coded ones are less prone to this, but, it still happens. Most of the time you will ride out of the interference zone.
It's often power lines or radio towers. The OP should think about where he was when the interference occurred.

·
Undiscovered Cyclist
76 Posts
Interesting to know that others experienced erroneously high readings, or none at all. I seemed to notice it when it was real windy, or maybe cold with extra layers on, but never did get the vision on what was up. The static electric idea makes as much sense as anything. Recently purchased a Sigma Easy from the LBS because it was coded. Other HRMs in the house got whacked out with my Cateye double wireless speedometer so had to go the coded route. Found out that the best thing to do with the Sigma if the numbers are bad to just reset it. Not good for keeping track of data, but worse things can happen.

·
Registered
2,620 Posts
MerlinAma said:
Two things to do:

1) Use Buh Bump Electrode Cream on your chest strap.

2) Make sure your strap isn't slipping and getting looser. I've resorted to putting a safety pin in mine to make sure it stays exactly where I want it. As the strap stretches, I readjust it, but that isn't very often.
One more time. Step 1 and step 2 above.

The panhandle of Texas is about as windy as it gets. And very dry (low humidity). My HRM always had ridiculous readings on windy days (aka most days) until I found the "fix".

Just last year I passed this wisdom to a new rider in our group who was having the same exact problem. Problem solved.

So stop worrying about which jersey to wear, using fabric softeners or whatever. I'm telling you from years and years of experience. Accept no substitutes. :D

·
Two wheels=freedom!
711 Posts
The 'structions that came with my Garmin 305 said it is static from the poly jerzy fabric. They recommend a light cotton layer, which kinda sux in the summer... If I've sweated out the jerzy, it's fine. But when it's dry, I have the heartbeat of a humming bird when I get over 30 or get a strong breeze hittin me.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.