Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
172 Posts
It's unlikely the shifter broke just from changing a chain and ring. But you may have introduced more friction into the cable run.

Disconnect the cable from the derailleur. Then test the shifter, does it now click when shifting to the large ring position? If so shift back down and pull the cable and see how freely and smoothly it returns and see if you introduced any binding in moving the cables. If it does not, consider re-doing your changes to the cable run. Now pull on the free cable and shift back into the large ring position with some tension. Does it still click or operate correctly?

If the shifter consistently clicks into the large ring position with you putting tension on the cable, I'm going to guess it's a limit screw preventing the derailleur from moving outboard enough for the shift. Check your limit screws and adjust as necessary.

That's what I would check first. May not be that and it could be a worn out shifter. Happens, I've blown through 2 right Rival shifters on my 2012 bike. Of course it may be something else entirely one of the professional mechanics who post here will probably chime in soon.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts