Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I jumped on the cheap Performance Titan Bandwagon which arrived today - first thing I did was pull of the horrid stickers of course. Put on the cassette from my Open Pro's and tires and tubes - and went out for a quick 30 mile ride. I discovered something strange with the back wheel - it felt like it was not rotating very well when I was pedeling.

Every time I would shift it never actually seemed to be doing much even though the chain was indeed shifting up the cassette. It feels as if the hib is kinda screwed up or something. Of course I probably can't return it since I pulled off the stickers - I am thinking that my only options are to either bring it into Performance which is about 5 miles away or pull open the hub myself and see what I can figure out.

Has anyone else with these wheel experience any problems or has anyone taken apart the rear hub??

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Can't you tell?

Gregman said:
Every time I would shift it never actually seemed to be doing much even though the chain was indeed shifting up the cassette. It feels as if the hib is kinda screwed up or something.
Why don't you take the wheel out of the frame and turn the hub axel with your fingers? You could easily tell if the bearings were set too tight because they would be binding and you could feel it. Your description of the problem is, to put it kindly, rather imprecise.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Kerry - yes when I rotate the cassette body it indeed feels tight, I try it with just one finger and its not exactly easy, unlike my Open Pro's. I am assumming that the Titans are the same wheels as the Neuvation M28 Aero's - so I took the hubs apart today and sure enough they are exactly identical to the technical sheet PDF that is on Neuvations site. http://www.neuvationcycling.com/pdf/Hubtechnicalsheets.pdf

So at this point I am not sure if loosening the fixing bolt slightly will do the trick or not. There isnt very many parts inside this hub so I am not sure yet.

·
Banned forever.....or not
24,573 Posts
Made in the same factory in China, but with slightly different specs.
Ps. Mine kept on busting spokes, so I returned it for a Open Pro/Ultegra wheel.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the bearings are set too tight - how does one go about setting them looser?

Sorry if its a stupid question - but I am not seeing any real way of setting them looser with out loosening the 12mm fixing bolt - which is supposed to be set at 24 foot pounds.

The one thing about this wheel - when the bike is in my work stand and I rotate the cranks backwardsthe wheels starts to slowly rotate backwards as well - as if there is enough friction in the hub to get it to rotate.

·
Registered
21,831 Posts
Still confused

Gregman said:
The one thing about this wheel - when the bike is in my work stand and I rotate the cranks backwardsthe wheels starts to slowly rotate backwards as well - as if there is enough friction in the hub to get it to rotate.
I know nothing about the specifics of this wheel set and bearing adjustment, but typically these things are fairly clear upon inspection. That said, you refer to rotating the cassette body and the wheel starting to turn when you backpedal in the work stand. These things have nothing to do with how well the hubs turn - they are two different sets of bearings and two different mechanisms. The cassette body is rotating with while you are pedaling, only the hub bearings are rotating.

Your original description is still very confusing to me: "Every time I would shift it never actually seemed to be doing much even though the chain was indeed shifting up the cassette. It feels as if the hib is kinda screwed up or something."

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Kerry - I did 127 miles on the wheels today and got a good grasp of the probelm. It feels as if either the rotational weight is hugely different from my Open Pro's with the same tire, cassette but just a new tube - I am finding that my gearing doesn't feel the same as it did on the OP's. I am finding that I have to ride at least a gear higher with this wheel if not 2m it just feels very sluggish. It also kinda has the feel of the old Bio Pace chain ring from years ago.

I am kinda stumped with this wheel - I have a buddy who has the same set which is just over a year old - I will put those on and see how those feel. Otherwise, I will just switch back to my OP's and call it the day.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Argentius said:
Heh, I can just imagine it.

"Hey, I don't think this wheel is ... right."

"Oh, let's go ride a 200k and find out!"

:)

I was a tad bit over zellous - needed to get a good ride in and hooked up with 3 other riders and headed up to kenosha to the Brat Stop for lunch and back - I will pay dearly for it tomorrow.

·
Registered
4,105 Posts
Gregman said:
I am finding that my gearing doesn't feel the same as it did on the OP's. I am finding that I have to ride at least a gear higher with this wheel if not 2m it just feels very sluggish. It also kinda has the feel of the old Bio Pace chain ring from years ago.
One or two gears higher? I would consider that a good thing...

Check for play with the wheel mounted. Check for loose spokes. Get the chain off the cassette and see how the wheel spins.

·
Registered
4 Posts
After 1000 miles and 4 broken spokes, 2 in the last month and the first 2 in the middle of last years STP, I took the rear wheel (stickers removed) back to Performance and received a 100% refund. That was pretty cool.
While filling out some paper work, the manager of the store told me that the Titans have a weight limit of 160 lbs. I mentioned it's too bad they don't state that in the description. Of course they probably wouldn't sell to many if they did.
Though I thought the Titans rolled great, the spoke thing was killing me.
D-ho

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.