Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Witty custom user title
552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm having a huge problem releasing my left foot with my new Speedplay Light Actions pedals. The reason this is a big deal, is because the left is the one that I typically put down at stop signs, lights etc....it was so bad yesterday, that it was borderline dangerous.

This was the first ride with these pedals (120 mile), and it would periodically get better as the day went on, only to get worse again later in the day. I don't get it - these pedals are touted for their ease of entry/release and right now, I'm considering going back to my SPD-SLs because of the hassle.

As far as I can tell, there really isn't any way to adjust them and it's certainly not due to wear or gunk in the cleats - they're brand new. I even clipped/un-clipped 30-40 times in my house prior to the first ride in an effort to loosen the spring a little. Didn't seem to make a lick of a difference. Any ideas? I don't want to give up on these this soon!

·
Registered
21,636 Posts
Cleat mounting

E 12 said:
I'm having a huge problem releasing my left foot with my new Speedplay Light Actions pedals. Any ideas? I don't want to give up on these this soon!
First thing to check is that the cleat is properly shimmed so that when you tighten the mounting screws, it does not bend the cleat in any way. If the cleat is mounted properly, then shoot a little silicone spray or something like White Lightning into the cleat to help the springs move easily.

·
Registered
985 Posts
The latest directions from Speedplay is to lube with a DRY PTFE (Teflon) lube.

·
Registered
44 Posts
It sounds like you have the wrong shims under the adaptor... you are probably ever so slightly bending the cleat, which results in it sticking. I did the same thing when I installed my Zero's the first time. Also, be careful so you're not overtightening the mounting screws as this will make the cleat too tight as well.

·
Registered
400 Posts
On my wife's cleats, one of the flat metal springs was bent "in" so the tips were closer together. I bent it to match the other one, and no more release problems.

·
Registered
146 Posts
My wife is having the same problem (same foot too) with her new Speedplay Light Actions. These are her first attempt at clipless pedals and she is getting a bit discouraged because she cannot get the cleats to clip onto the pedals. I have tried untightening the bolts on the cleat but it really did not help. I am going to remove them and start again. She had PI Quest shoes and we are using the shim identified in the instructions.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
When I set-up my Zero's:

Use the shims that best contours the curvature of the shoe. After snugging it up, take a flat edge ruler and verify the plastic plate is reasonably flat. If It isn't, when you snug the, metal plate, it will bend and cause the spring to bind.

If the plates have been on-off a few times, you'll need to re-apply a removable thread locking agent. Snug those up but not overly so. Just enough that the metal plate has no gaps on the plastic spring retainer and same for the main plate. When mine get to that snug point, 1/4 turn does it and you will feel the notch as you turn the screw. Check again that the metal plate is not curved. If it's flat, you should be good.

Drip in a bit of dry lube. My springs will move with minimal friction and you can verify this by trying to rotate the spring with a screwdriver or your fingers. If it moves reasonably free...done deal. If it sticks/binds, there is likely some curvature of the assembly that a shim will be needed to flatten out.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts