Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Spunout said:
Bend and check it again.
I'm starting to wonder if it's this Wipperman chain . I had the bike on the stand and had shifted but once again it was not jumping into gear.So before I tweaked it again,I looked at the alignment and it's perfect. When I get super close to the cassette,it really seems like the plates of the chain are just not wanting to jump up . I also like I said before,noticed that there is a was a strange click in some gears but not what you would hear if it's slightly out of gear. I know that Wipperman is compatible but it just seems to not work well. with Campy ....I may get rid of it if nobody else can come up with an ideas. ...I hate a noisy and inconsistent drive train .

·
Registered
10,160 Posts
limit screws...

I didn't see any mention of limit screws. When you setup a RD from scratch, the first thing to do is set the small cog limit screw so the upper pueely lines up with the first cog, with the shift cable off. Then you push the thumb button down all the way, attach the cable and start increaseing tension until the 1-2 shift executes. More tension is usually needed to get the best shifting all the way to the largest cog.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
C-40 said:
I didn't see any mention of limit screws. When you setup a RD from scratch, the first thing to do is set the small cog limit screw so the upper pueely lines up with the first cog, with the shift cable off. Then you push the thumb button down all the way, attach the cable and start increaseing tension until the 1-2 shift executes. More tension is usually needed to get the best shifting all the way to the largest cog.
Yes ,I did that as well. The more I have played with it,it has gotten slightly more consistent but is still not totally so . It still doesn't want to go into the smallest cog in back but will eventually if I keep pedaling . It also doesn't want to go into the third or fourth gears sometimes but I'll look out back and the pulleys are lined up spot on . I have routed the cables behind the bars and there are no obstructions in cables.I'm thinking it's one of several things read over them and then let me know what ya think :

-cassette is worn.I think it could be this because of how the pulleys will be lined up in most cases but not shift sometimes. Also it may just be me but I wonder if the spacing is off on the cassette to maybe like I didn't put the spacers together right (are any of them different widths or all the same?)
-Derailleur hanger needs bent just slightly more(I thought this because even though the pulleys are lined up the bottom pulley still lags just EVER so slightly beyond straight up and down.
-Also ,I know chains are standard now and Wipperman has a campy chain but this chain also seems a bit wide. Maybe its just me . The guy who had this before me imo didn't set up several things correctly. I'm almost wondering if this chain was before widths became standard and its over what it should be.I don't have the tool to measure so ehhhh.

I've pretty much decided to ride by a shop when I'm out today and bounce it off them ..I don't have a derailleur bender so that's something I can't do anyway .I basically hate admitting defeat here. I have built twenty plus bikes and adjusting derailleurs should be childs plays and usually is for me lol.

·
Every little counts...
3,924 Posts
Unhook the rear derailleur cable. Turning the pedals with the bicycle on the stand and push the RD to shift up to the middle of the cogset. Now let it go. If it drops down to the #1 cog you have cable/shifter problems. If it doesn't, fix the limit screw.

With the cable unhooked, slide it between the RD and chainstay, chainstay and BB, DT and shifter to find out if the cable is sticking.

Cassette being worn, not really a reason.

If the shifts are mushy and not really dropping (click) your G springs might be worn.

·
Two wheels=freedom!
708 Posts
HOW did the shop "Bend it back in place" Just by eye or with a hanger alignment gauge?

Do you know how it got bent in the first place? Was it just in/out or also front/back?

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
rdolson said:
HOW did the shop "Bend it back in place" Just by eye or with a hanger alignment gauge?

Do you know how it got bent in the first place? Was it just in/out or also front/back?
In/out and with a gauge . I took it back in today and after about an hour and tweaking it we came to the conclusion it was two things :

1. The cassette had bent teeth in the middle .This was causing the rough shifts.
2. The cable housing was catching and also the cable ferrel sp? was the wrong type for the cable running to the derailleur.The wire was catching instead of floating and and was causing it not to drop into the lowest cog..

So I just ordered Campy cables and a new cassette and hopefully that works .I appreciate the suggestions guys :thumbsup:

·
Registered
788 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Spunout said:
Unhook the rear derailleur cable. Turning the pedals with the bicycle on the stand and push the RD to shift up to the middle of the cogset. Now let it go. If it drops down to the #1 cog you have cable/shifter problems. If it doesn't, fix the limit screw.

With the cable unhooked, slide it between the RD and chainstay, chainstay and BB, DT and shifter to find out if the cable is sticking.

Cassette being worn, not really a reason.

If the shifts are mushy and not really dropping (click) your G springs might be worn.

Thanks for the suggestions.Check my post out below and see what ya think ...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts