Road Bike, Cycling Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sometimes when I try to shift onto a larger cog in the back, the lever locks up. To unjam it, I have to push the thumb shifter to move the chain to a smaller cog, then make the shift to the larger cog I wanted. This used to happen once in awhile but is happening more and more now and is getting to be a real pain. Anyone have experience with this or know the solution? Thanks for your feedback.

·
Frog Whisperer
41,515 Posts
yes, but with veloce

I had the exact same problem with my brand new Veloce 9 spd front. It went away after a bit but "forcing it" threw something out of alignment and the lever no longer lined up with the rubber bumber and rattled on the brake lever on a rough road, not sure what the problem was but it had to back to campy for repairs....they fixed it and it is fine now. The Centaur is repairable I assume too.

·
Premium Member
15,996 Posts
That's an older unit -- it's probably seen it's share of use and weather. Probably time to rebuild 'er. That's the cool thing bout Campy; you can do it, or your LBS can if you don't feel up to the challenge.

Zinn and the art of Road Bike Maintenance has detailed instructions.

·
Registered
21,832 Posts
Step by step

prometheus said:
Sometimes when I try to shift onto a larger cog in the back, the lever locks up. To unjam it, I have to push the thumb shifter to move the chain to a smaller cog, then make the shift to the larger cog I wanted. This used to happen once in awhile but is happening more and more now and is getting to be a real pain. Anyone have experience with this or know the solution? Thanks for your feedback.
First thing is to squirt a bunch of lube (like TriFlow, ProLink, home brew, etc.) or solvent (like WD-40) down the hole in the lever body while working the gears. The hole is visible when you pull the lever hood forward. If this doesn't help, consider that it might be your cables and casings - if there's any fraying of the cable or bent/corroded casing, this could be the problem. The next step is to take things apart for a re-build. You should go to campyonly.com or campagnolo.com and get some exploded diagrams. It is possible, at this age, that you have some broken internal parts that would need replacing, but you can only find that out by tearing it down.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.